Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:00 PM   #1

There has been some question as to whether ISO 3200 is a useful feature or just a gimick. I've preached for a year that this capability is a God send to low light action shooters. While I agree images taken at ISO 3200 and cleaned up will never look as good as ISO 400 images, I still contend they are extremely usable. Here are some shots taken with the Canon 20D at 3200. Judge for yourself if you think they're usable. By the way, my intent is not to say that Canon is better than another manufacturer - their ISO 3200 may be just as good. My intent is to show that ISO 3200 as currently on the market is a useful feature to a sports shooter.

Action shots at these light levels just wouldn't be possible without 3200 or a flash. And if you use flash, your distance is fairly limited (as are your bursts due to recycle times).

All images cleaned up with Noiseware Professional:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:28 PM   #2

John, good shots @ 3200, here is one I took last Winter at a gymnastics meet @ 3200, I used neat image
Attached Images

Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:36 PM   #3

Nice shot there!

Gymnastics can be tough - lighting is often very bad and distances can be long (making for very expensive prime lenses).

Bring 'em on folks - let's see some other great 3200 shots.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:15 AM   #4

John,

What lens did you use and what shutter speeds were you gettingfor theseshots ?Also I would like to see a pre processed image compared to a final at 3200. I am looking at buying a noise reduction software and want to see how much it helps. Great shots BTW.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
TWO2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:57 AM   #5

Bob,

The lens was Sigma 120-300 2.8 set at 2.8, shutter speeds from 1/400 - 1/640 depending on field location. To be honest, I no longer have the pre-processed image files. But, don't fear, I should be shooting another match tonight so I'll be sure to keep a before and after version to show.

I use Noiseware Pro. Neatimage and Noise Ninja are also popular products. IMO, they are essential products if you're going to shoot at 1600 or 3200 and to be honest 400 an 800 images can often be helped. The key is to use as little as possible to cleann up the image. Some people go way overboard on their noise reduction and it can look really bad.

The other key is to expose to the right at high ISOs. Noise shows up more in dark areas - so if your shot is underexposed and you correct the exposure in PP (either in RAW conversion or levels afterwards) you'll really see an increase in noise levels. If you can get the exposure pushed to the right there's a dramatic decrease in noise.

I'll post some before/after shots in the next couple days.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:20 PM   #6

These were taken at 3200 with no flash and no in camera noise reduction? The only processing they had was in Noiseware Pro?

Pardon my ignorance, I don't know a lot about Canon's and low light shooting. I've been doing a bit of it lately and I'm curious about how to make my shots better.

Christopher
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:16 PM   #7

cyancey76 wrote:
Quote:
These were taken at 3200 with no flash and no in camera noise reduction? The only processing they had was in Noiseware Pro?

Pardon my ignorance, I don't know a lot about Canon's and low light shooting. I've been doing a bit of it lately and I'm curious about how to make my shots better.

Christopher
Christopher,

My shots had crop, levels and USM done in photoshop and noise reduction done via Noiseware Pro.

I'm unclear if you had an additional question regarding how to make your shots better. What about your shots do you want to improve?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:14 AM   #8

I was just asking those questions about the noise levels. All of my night shots come out with a lot of noise. I was assuming you were too far for the flash to work, and were shooting too fast to use the in-camera noise reduction. Is that correct?

I know those are some basic questions that should have obvious answers but I'm fairly new and I just want to make sure.

Christopher
cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:18 AM   #9

Post a couple of your photos and we can take a look. I wouldn't advise using in-camera noise reduction. What camera are you using, by the way? That will make a difference as well.

But, in general, the more underexposed an image is, the worse the noise will be. So, let us know what camera you're using and post a couple of examples for us to look at.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:31 PM   #10

John G

Do you do your USM and photoshop first then use the noise program or the other way around?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote