Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 24, 2006, 5:15 PM   #1

First time I've been out and about with my new canon S3 IS and still getting used to having all the extra control over things compared to a P&S!

still I was relatively pleased with these and the capability of the 12x zoom

anyone use the canon teleconverter? would be interested in opinions and what difference +ve or -ve you think it would have had on these shots

Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Chris,

I like the 2nd pic as it tells the story of the days sailing which is good.

Pics one and three (the Fireball and Laser 2000) they could be enhanced a little I think. There are two options for this (and as there does not seem to have been a lot of wind on this day then optionone is probably the best) so well worth giving them a go on the next run.

Option one. Use a wider aperture (low f number) as this will blur out more of the background and foreground so that your subject is more defined. On your camera you have an aperture setting of between f2.7 and f3.5 depending on how much you have zoomed, so use Av and select the lowest aperture value possible and see what you are able to get.

Option two. Use a slower shutter (better when the subjects are moving a little faster) as this will then give motion blur. This is a technique that needs practising but will give great effects. Select a shutter speed of between 1/60th - 1/160th by using Tv mode. Now the shutter speed you need to get a good blur will depend on the distance the subject is away from you, how fast it is going, the amount of zoom you are using, how much of the frame is filled by the subject.......... You will need have continuous shooting and continuous focus selected and follow the subject smoothly (this is where the practise is needed) and you will get some stunning results. OK so it is not sailing but here is a car shot with a shutter speed of 1/80th.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Happy shooting,

Mark

www.photographysmith.co.uk
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:54 AM   #3

well as you can tell I'm a newbie to this, having previously only used a p&s camera!

so your tips are appreciated thanks....you're right it wasn't particualrly windy just a light breeze, whereas I was thiking the shutter speed needed to be higher than it probably did and used shutter priority mode....

I'll probably go to this location a lot to "practice"as it is only just down the road from where I live....still end of the siling seaons rapidly approaches....I'll post some more having tried your tips

thanks again
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:07 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You're more than welcome for the advice. It is one of the bestways that I have learnt how to get better shots although I have a lot more to learn! Another way is trail, error and self critique. Try lots of different things each time you shoot. Vary the shutter speed, aperture, framing, zoom etc and see what is pleasing to the eye.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote