Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:37 AM   #11

I love your shots! I have been experimenting with indoor sports and have decided I need to buy a new lens because mine's not fast enough. Is the set 85mm ever a problem when it comes to wanting shots closer or farther away?
Attached Images

kilobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:03 AM   #12

kilobravo wrote:
Quote:
Is the set 85mm ever a problem when it comes to wanting shots closer or farther away?
Of course. That's the problem with any fixed length lens. The notion of 'zoom with your feet' only works so much where action is involved. It's all a trade-off. I like to shoot just off the side line behind the net judge - I can reach the back corners that way - but it means that any plays by me at the net are completely missed. So, if the prominant spiker is positioned to my side, I'll back off the net a bit. And, of course, I haven't tried shooting from above with this lens - I just think it's too far away.

So, there's always a trade-off. I have to sacrfice certain angles and shots to use this prime but in the end I'm much happier because the quality of my keepers (while not having the breadth of angles my 70-200 provides) is much higher.

What I really think a third party lens operation should look into is a 50-150mm 2.0 lens (Sigma just relased a 50-150 2.8 ). Man, if someone could pull that off, every sports photog would jump on it
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 12:03 PM   #13
Super Moderator

John, as ever I love your work and poss when my stupid kit is sorted out I will start being able to get close to these results.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:08 PM   #14

is there a good all-around zoom lens (1.8-2.0) for shooting indoor sports so that it would be possible to move "above" and around the the court? yeah, a 50-150mm would be awesome, but now, i i think i need the speed. appreciate your expertise (because i have none).

JohnG wrote

Quote:
So, there's always a trade-off. I have to sacrfice certain angles and shots to use this prime but in the end I'm much happier because the quality of my keepers (while not having the breadth of angles my 70-200 provides) is much higher.

What I really think a third party lens operation should look into is a 50-150mm 2.0 lens (Sigma just relased a 50-150 2.8 ). Man, if someone could pull that off, every sports photog would jump on it
kilobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:10 PM   #15

Kilobravo,

I don't know of any manufacturer that has a zoom lens faster than 2.8. So, you're stuck with primes. It's why shooting indoor sports can get really, really expensive once you move beyond the basic locations (also why I'm still using the basic locations).

The alternative is to use flash if it's allowed. A 70-200 2.8 with a good external flash can get some very good shots from what I've seen - as long as you know what you're doing with the flash. Look at the posts here - someone recently posted some very good flash volleyball pics.

But, without flash and without enough light for 2.8 you have to use prime lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote