Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:13 PM   #1

Last time I shot, I used my Sigma 70-200 2.8. This time tried the 85mm 1.8.

Miss the range, but when this lens hits. you gotta love it...

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:06 AM   #2

Sold!

Great shots all of them! Love the sharpness and great color. This will be the next lens for sure since, Basketball and Wrestling will be coming. Fortunately for me I can get down by the action. Beingon the school coaching staff has its priviledges.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:12 AM   #3

Hey John -

The 5th one down is one of the best Vball images ever! What fantastic action and I like the motion blur, just in the right places.

Are these really Ohio girls? They must have just returned from florida or something, they're all so tan! LOL

Lynne
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:23 AM   #4

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
Hey John -

Are these really Ohio girls? They must have just returned from florida or something, they're all so tan! LOL

Lynne
Yeah - tell me about it. I also have 17 and 18 year old neices and they have perpetual year-long fake-n-bake tans.

I also was very happy with that particular photo. Shows how fast arms move - these were shot at 1/400 and you still see a lot of blur on the ball.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:12 AM   #5

Very true! Vball is a very physical sport. In HS I actually dislocated a rib jump-serving. Ouch.
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:16 AM   #6

I've been eyeing a 85mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor lens on ebay...this just might push me to buy it.
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:28 AM   #7

Ripsnort wrote:
Quote:
I've been eyeing a 85mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor lens on ebay...this just might push me to buy it.
If you plan on shooting any indoor sports like v-ball, basketball or wrestling then you absolutely want one of these. This gym was well lit, and when I shot last time I used a 70-200 2.8 - set to ISO 1600, 1/320 f2.8. They came out OK but not great. With this lens, I could go down to 2.0 - and I could up my shutter speed to only 1/400 thus gaining 2/3 stops of light (i.e. I gained a full stop because of ISO but gave 1/3 back by bumping up the shutter speed). This allowed me to shoot with a more balanced histogram. And, let's face it - the 85mm 1.8 lenses are just plain sharp. So the combination of the better focusing in low light, better histogram really upped my keeper rate.

I'm going to go shoot a volleyball game for a work colleague tonight for her 8th grade daughter at a Catholic school - I'm not even sure if the 85mm 1.8 will be fast enough in the lighting I'm expecting there
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:36 PM   #8

JohnG,

Do you still use a flash when shooting indoor sports? I've got my eye on the horizon on a 85mm f/1.8 (or f/1.4 if I can muster up the money) but am curious if you still require flash with the lighting such as those shots contain?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:43 PM   #9

a couple comments.

I don't know about the Nikon lenses, but I do know in the Canon system the 85mm 1.8 is a better sports lens than say the 85mm 1.2L. But wait, one is an L and has a wider aperture and it's WORSE? Yes, it was very slow to focus. Also not sure how difficult it would be to get usable action shots with aperture wider than 1.8. The focus planes would be extremely tiny unless you're at hyperfocal disatance in which case you're not going to get sharp focus many times anyway. So, if I were you I'd find other Nikon sports shooters who were using the 1.4 wider than 1.8 and see what their recommendations are.

As for flash - the answer is: it depends. Firstly it depends on whethe or not flash will be allowed. some teams / officials won't allow it at all. In general, I've been lucky - I haven't had to shoot in an environment yet where 1.8 wasn't fast enough. I will say, it takes a lot of talent to pull off good flash action shots. Most results I've seen look poor - red eyes, stark shadows etc. So, I've avoided it. I've tried it several times for football now with mixed results. So, my personal approach so far has been to avoid it. But I've seen some photogs who do it very well - it's just that I've seen more photogs do it poorly. I have enough issues just getting good shots with camera/lens - adding flash to the equation is a last step and one I haven't taken yet indoors.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:27 PM   #10

Thanks for your feedback. I too am very hestitant about using flash though I've limited my sports shooting to outdoor sports only (so far...we're getting walk ups asking us to do more events indoors, been turning them away because I'm doing this as a paying hobby so far, I don't need a full time job! ).

I've heard from a co-worker that there is a camera store in my local area that rents lenses...I'm going to look into this and see if I can try out both the f/1.4 and f/1.8.