Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:50 PM   #1

Early game - Homecomming, 2 bitter rivals, loser has almost no chance of making it to post season. And, I had to leave after half-time to process images for a deadlineand see my family - all before I go to bed and get up for work. While I'm waiting for the paper shots to finish uploading I thought I'd post a few.

(Oh, by the way, game was televised - so I saw the end. My wife tells me I was on tv a couple times - alas, my brief shot of fame - gone

Anyway, here are the shots:

Commin' round the end for a 35 yard touchdown run right at me (note: it pays to hustle - I was in position for this shot along with the real pros while the other hobbiests were still moving slowly to set up - they have nice pictures of the tailback's back end :G- I have this one)

A nice 25 yard punt return...

No faces, but as a former defensive player I love this shot - 3rd and half a yard - he got NOTHIN'...

Trying to avoid the sack - made it past this guy and hit for no gain by the next one...

FUMBLE!!!!...

Recovered by the defense...

Saving a touchdown! Unfortunately 2 plays later they gave up the touchdown anyway...

And this one I just thought was cool cause you can read the 225 written in the paint under his eyes :G

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Wow John, you are a celeb!!! Be careful assoon you will need to be signing autographs.... LOL.

Great work, I take it these were taken with the 120-300 at f2.8.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:07 AM   #3

Well done, John! I'd like to know your ISO (looks like great lighting for HS!). I've shot a similar one to the last in vertical from the endzone and the center's parents always like it.

Tom
dc7thchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:24 AM   #4

Thanks guys!

ISO 3200, 2.8 and 1/400 or 1/320.

Yes, it's pretty well lit - still needed 3200 @ 1/400 but at least I was getting good exposures. No way I could have gotten faces in some of the other stadiums I've shot at.

And yes Mark, it was with the 120-300.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:58 AM   #5

Nice shots John. Question, are these after you've cropped them or are they the originals? I had difficulty following the action in a portrait vertical camera position, sometimes I've missed the play because I didn't pan quick enough. I'd say 70% of my shots I'll shoot in landscape then crop later as to not miss the action. What's your opinion of this?
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6

Ripsnort,

I'd say whatever works for you is the right approach. For me, I shoot 90% portrait orientation because I prefer tight crops. People are verticle in nature. If there are 2 people in the frame chances are they're going to take up more vertical space than horizontal. So, I find that in most finished products for sports like football, baseball, soccer, a horizontal crop contains too much dead space. And, if you frame tightly you usually don't have enough space to allow for a change to a vertical crop.

I do agree that it is tougher to follow the action though. And I do clip a few body parts now and again (because I like to frame tightly so when suddenly an arm extends, ooops - cut it off ).

In general, whicheverorientation you shoot - I think you get much better quality in the end product if you frame tightly. First, while taking the shot, your focus will be much better - the more your subject fills up a focus area the easier it is to lock on and track and the more contrast the camera will detect which also helps focusing. So, while framing tight costs you some shots, when you do get keepers you'll have much sharper ones. This was the hardest step for me to take. I used to frame loose to avoid missing something and crop down. And that's a great way to start out. But, once I let people drill it into my head to "frame tight and crop tighter" I realized that my keepers were of a much sharper quality. Of course my keepers went down at first. But the ones I did have were much better. Then, my technique improved. Now my keeper rate is even higher than before so I'm getting more quality shots and higher in quality.

That work really pays off when I shoot indoors with apertures of 1.8 and 2.0. You have very little margin for error there - your focus needs to be dead on.

So, if landscape orientation works best for you - by all means use that. Just frame tight - force yourself to improve your technique. Or, look at it this way - forget about how you shoot - when you finish cropping, assuming you have enough area to change the ccrop if you chose to - if you end up seeing you want a finished landscape crop out of your shots then shoot landscape. But, if you find yourself changing the crop a lot to portrait then shoot portrait from the start - otherwise you're not getting tight enough to the action and cheating yourself of image quality. So, it's the concept of doing minimal cropping that's important.

After a few games you'll really notice a difference (after you get over the letdown of game 1 where your keeper rate gets cut in half )

Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:51 PM   #7

Thanks for your feedback John.
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote