Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:57 AM   #1

A JV game I was asked to shoot. The down side is the action is fairly poor at this level. But the upside is it was still played in daylight

As always, C&C welcomed.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:31 AM   #2

I like all of the shots but one and will get to that one last.

Topping the list are the first and sixth shots. Both tell the "story" of the action. The facial expression on the first one is great. #6 is a classic action shot showing a battle for control of the ball.

Photo #2 is good but I would like to see a tighter crop. For my taste there is too much open space.

The rest are good action shots, nice and sharp.

The last shot is the one that I don't care for. It's different andI feel it is missing something but I cannot put my finger on what it is missing. Although the loss of part of the face may be it.

Overall a good set and that's my 2 cents worth but with inflation it may now be a penny and a half.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:04 AM   #3

k1par wrote:
Quote:
Photo #2 is good but I would like to see a tighter crop. For my taste there is too much open space.
Quote:
Good point - I tightened the crop a bit.
Quote:

The last shot is the one that I don't care for. It's different andI feel it is missing something but I cannot put my finger on what it is missing. Although the loss of part of the face may be it.
Quote:
I go back and forth on this one - I like it and then dislike it for exactly the same reason - the ball is covering up part of her face and exposing just one eye. Certainly not a typical shot and not one I would usually include but I thought I'd see what people think.
Quote:
Overall a good set and that's my 2 cents worth but with inflation it may now be a penny and a half.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for taking the time to comment - it's appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:06 PM   #4

Very nice John. May I ask what your manual settings were (for an average)? Looks like the ISO was no higher than 200....
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:34 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi John,

As usual that 120-300 lens is working well for you. I will have to try shooting some football (soccer) soon.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:42 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.

Ripsnort, I actually shot Av mode (plus 1/3 EC) to protect my highlights. The sun was setting to the side so it was really reflecting off the shirts - I was getting ludicrous 1/6400 shutter speeds. So yes, I ignored my usual advice to expose for faces. I was at ISO 100-400. Just trying different settings.

Mark - yep, it's definitely a nice lens. I'd love to pair it up with a Mk II-N (or it's replacement) someday. I keep hoping there will be something in the $2000 range within a year or two (either MK II N replacement or new XXd camera) with the 45 point autofocus. I can dream, anyway.