Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:35 PM   #1

Got a new lens & tried it for volleyball. This is a very poorly lit gym - hot spots & shadows. Sitting front row for this with her moving toward me & into more light. ISO 1600, f2 aperture prioty, & shutter exposed at 1/500. With my 70-200 f2.8, she would be blurred some at 1/250. Will love this for basketball!
Attached Images

dc7thchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:10 PM   #2

Great shot! How did you clean up the "graininess" from shooting at 1600? Im new into sports photography so sorry about the newb question. I cant wait to have results like yours!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:41 PM   #3

Yep an 85mm is a great lens for shots from the side. I'm hoping to get a 135mm 2.0 lens for next season as it's the perfect length for shots from behind the back line.

It definitely looks like you had some really poor lihting (judge shirt is blown and ball is almost blown but the player is a bit underexposed).

Great timing on the shot though. And nice of the other players to not get in your way :G
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4

DRGSin,

I haven't cleaned this image up. As Moose Peterson likes to say: "It's the light!" When shooting at 1600, you're usually in lousy light and so you'll see more grain. But as in this case, she moved into more light (that's why the ball is blown out on top) and therefore the grain appears less.

Here is a close crop of her. I've also added another crop of a photo from the same gym & here you can see dramatic difference with the left girl's face and the back girl who is in shadow.

Hmmmm.... maybe I don't have this hotlinking down right just yet. Sorry.
dc7thchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5

"As Moose Peterson likes to say: "It's the light!"" Amen brother!:-)
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote