Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1

Ron G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Ron,

Does not look like you have posted forquite a while so welcome back!!!

As you have posted 2 slightly different galleries covering football and soccer (or if like me you are from the UK then that is American football and football :G:blah and done similar things in technique the first part of my post for each is the same as I think it is important to consider especially for some people reading this who might be new to sports photography.

You seem to have shot in Tv (shutter priority - timed value) which has meant that your shots have differing aperture values thus your depth of field (dof) is varied and in the soccer series it is far to deep to separate the action from the background. I would suggest shooting in Av (aperture priority - aperture value) as this will give you more control of the dof giving the shots more punch!! I will usually set on the lowest f stop (which is the widest aperture) or just one higher (as this is often a sharper in the final result) as this will throw the background out a lot more making the play you are interested in the main focus.

Looking at these shots I like them, you have some good timed action, good facial expressions and I would say the first and last are my faves!! It's a shame, if the first had been shot at f4 rather than f10 this would have been a stunner!!!

Looking forward to seeing more of you work now that you are back with us.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:46 AM   #3

I agree with Mark. You need to open up the aperture - according to the exif the max aperture is f4 - no real reason on an action shot to ever open up wider than that.

In addition, watch your horizons - 1 & 5 are both slanted a bit - more distracting because the backgrounds are still in focus.

On shots 3&5, did you run them through some sort of noise reduction you didn't use on the other shots? Just asking because they seem to have much less detail and the exif is gone.

You've got some nice timing and I really like the last shot - it's the best IMO - sharp, good exposure and good action.

Overall, well done. I think if you switch to shooting wide open, correct horizons in PP and watch noise reduction (or whatever was used on 1&5) you'll have some great stuff.

Good job!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:57 PM   #4

Thanks Guys,

I have been gone for a while because I had my camera stolen during wrestling season.

Finally went out and bought a new one. (D200)

I have only shot 7 or 8 events since and don't know why I started shooting shutter priority when my best results in the past have always been in straight manual mode.

I will switch back this weekend and see how it goes.

One big problem that I have is the lens. I am currently limited to a Nikkor AF 70-300 G 4-5.6 so I have had a lot of problems with focus speed and aperature(especially night football and indoor shooting)

I am working on the Nikkor AF 70-200 2.8 VR but, that is probably 3-4 months down the road at this point.

Thanks for the input.
Ron G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:49 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi John,

Having your camera stolen is a nightmare, but the D200 is a good choice of camera so once you have that new lens then you will have a nice package.

I think that John and I would probably come from 2 different angles on your settings. Personally I would go for Av and set to f4 on the widest setting. Then you will always have the widest aperture possible no matter what the focal length you are using. I think John would say go manual. I suffer a lot from varying light (downside of being in the UK) so this being the case letting the camera still do some work for me seems to get the best results.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with over the next few weeks.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:07 AM   #6

Ron G wrote:
Quote:
I am working on the Nikkor AF 70-200 2.8 VR but, that is probably 3-4 months down the road at this point.

Thanks for the input.

MIght look at the 80-200 AF-D? I have the less expensive 80-200mm AF-D Nikkor and pleased as pudding with it. I'm using a Sigma teleconverter 1.4x with football, and though I lose an f stop and just a skosh of crispness, it works good enough to sell pics.
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:07 AM   #7

duplicate post.
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote