Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:24 PM   #1

GOAL!!!

Ron G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:03 AM   #2

Sharp and good timing. I would personally though, go for a tighter crop on most of the shots.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 4:11 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Ron,

Does not look like you have posted forquite a while so welcome back!!!

As you have posted 2 slightly different galleries covering football and soccer (or if like me you are from the UK then that is American football and football :G:blah and done similar things in technique the first part of my post for each is the same as I think it is important to consider especially for some people reading this who might be new to sports photography.

You seem to have shot in Tv (shutter priority - timed value) which has meant that your shots have differing aperture values thus your depth of field (dof) is varied and in the soccer series it is far to deep to separate the action from the background. I would suggest shooting in Av (aperture priority - aperture value) as this will give you more control of the dof giving the shots more punch!! I will usually set on the lowest f stop (which is the widest aperture) or just one higher (as this is often a sharper in the final result) as this will through the background out a lot more making the play you are interested in the main focus.

As with the football gallery your timing is good and the capture on the first is great!

Just noticed while posting these that Steven has suggested a tighter crop and I would have to agree that for these it would help. The only time I would leave them like this is if sending to a paper as they like to have room to play around.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:51 AM   #4

Tighter crops will definitely help.

But you really need better apertures - the backgrounds really degrade the quality to a very large degree. No need to shoot at f13. The best example is shot #3 - the main part of the image my eyes keep getting drawn to is the stairs.

The great news is - that's easily fixed your next time out. Shot at 4.0 (if that's as wide as you can go) these shots will be 10x better.

Thanks for sharing and good shooting!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote