Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1

Well, the Lady Grizzlies finally ran into a superior team. So these are the final volleyball posts of the season. The shots thru the net were taken with Sigma 120-300 2.8 (ISO 3200, f2.8, 1/400). Given the fact they are 3200 I'm fairly happy. Obviously the 135 2.0 is in order for next season

But, in the end, they lost to a much better team...

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:12 AM   #2

Belting celebration shot. Not so sure about shooting through the net, I prefer the angle of your other set, but still interesting. no 6 is the best imo.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:17 PM   #3
Super Moderator

As you say John, nice shots considering the high ISO but it comes back to a correct exposure in the first place :-)

I don't mind shots through the net as it allows you get to the facial expressions when blocking and hitting!

I like 4 and 5 as it is great to see the face of the blocker smiling away!! Personally when I am playing I'm sure it is more like player 7 in photo 9 lol!!

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:42 PM   #4

Thanks.

Unfortunately, there really is no getting past shooting through the net - the only way to get good facial shots of the front line players. Unfortunately in the playoffs, the refs would not allow me on the floor behind the net judge where I like to shoot from (had to shoot from first row of stands or from either end through the net). And the stand they used was quite wide. So it was very rare to get a shot like in the other series. And unfortunately the other side of the court is the scoring table and players chairs. With rare exception these girls aren't really getting their heads over the net.

I'll be interested to see which the parents prefer. The finals gallery is about 75% through the net shots while the semifinals game was about 25% through the net. We'll see which they like more.

Next year, however, I need to work on catching digs more - I'm very disappointed in my inability to get more digs - most of it is my inability to predict and then of course players have an annoying habit of getting between me and my subject

Again, thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:06 PM   #5

Fantastic shots! I'm impressed with the Canon 3200 iso- much better than my D2H. Question on shooting technique: do you just follow one player for awhile or do you try to follow the action? For my VB, I follow one player and have gotten decent digs (as in the one you commented on with my 85mm f1.8). I also have some trouble keeping good focus on the player thru the net - yours are very good!

Tom
dc7thchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:31 PM   #6
spy

Great actions shots John. The last two tell it best. Do you shoot with a grey card at each game location to set your WB?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:59 AM   #7

Tom & Spy - thanks for your comments.

dc7thchild wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic shots! I'm impressed with the Canon 3200 iso- much better than my D2H. Question on shooting technique: do you just follow one player for awhile or do you try to follow the action? For my VB, I follow one player and have gotten decent digs (as in the one you commented on with my 85mm f1.8). I also have some trouble keeping good focus on the player thru the net - yours are very good!

Tom
Tom - well, these ISO 3200 shots are a lot better than say my football shots at 3200. The reason is there isn't as much dark area in these and you don't have the heavy shadows. Also, the lighting in this gym was very good. If left to it's own devices the camera would have metered things at 1/640 or 1/800. But Canon often underexposes low light shots IMO. I typically try to set my exposures at +2/3 in low light - but use the histogram as my guide. Having a bright photo, exposed for faces in-camera makes a HUGE difference.

As for following action or player - I guess it depends. Most times I try to predict the action. But I also try to make sure I get shots of all the players. So, if there's a player I don't feel I have enough shots of, I'll follow them. With digs, I'd sayhalf the problem is the shot being ruined by another player getting between me and my subject.

As for the player vs. the net. I found that shooting at an angle REALLY causes a problem (as opposed to shooting through at a right angle). As does a hyperfocal distance issue. So, if I tried to shoot from the back with my 85, I wouldn't have as much luck. But, shooting with 135mm or better on my 70-200 or 120-300, I don't have much of an issue as long as the player is at the net. It's tougher of course if their 4 feet behind the net.

Spy - the honest answer was I shot using auto-WB. I really find the Canon auto-WB works amazingly well - especially if there is white in the frame. So, I think the white jerseys help out a lot. I'll typically take test shots during warm-ups using auto-WB. If things look good then I'll stay there. If not, I'll take a custom WB using a grey card and then take more test shots to see if the light temperature remains constant. Some gyms have lights whose cycles are such that you don't get a constant temperature. In those cases, I'm forced to shoot RAW.

In this case I used auto WB. I probably had to do some color correction on about 25% of my photos. I'd say on half of those, auto-color worked and on the other half I had to do manual corrections.