Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:12 PM   #1

Red Bud 2006(?) #1

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:22 AM   #2

Great action shots, maybe a bit too little DOF though. Quite a few distractions in the background but I know it's tough at motocross to cut that out. Good shots!
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:28 AM   #3

StevenC wrote:
Quote:
Great action shots, maybe a bit too little DOF though. Quite a few distractions in the background but I know it's tough at motocross to cut that out. Good shots!
Thanks Steven, I appreciate the compliment and critique. Youre absolutely right about DOF. Imtrying to be more conscious of it now,whereas Iwasnt back then. It seems as if its the little things that turn a good photo into a WOW photo.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:59 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Good colour and I like the timing on the first one!!

As Steve pointed out (back to front :blah there is too much depth of field but you do have 2 choices.

1. Open the aperture as wide as possible, however this is then likely to fully freeze the action including the movement in the wheels which will not give you the most pleasing look.

2. Select Tv (Shutter/Timed priority/value) and go for somewhere between 1/60th and 1/250 depending on the speed of the movement and also how much of the frame is filled. This will give a large depth of field as you will have to have a narrower aperture but your background will be blurred due to the movement. This will take some practise but it is well worth it.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:13 PM   #5

Man,great pointers keep coming! I cant believe how helpful this site has been with only a couple of posts! Thanks for your input Mark. That whole Tv thing may as well be a different language. I have no clue as to what youre talking about. Time to look in the manual! LOL
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:28 PM   #6
Super Moderator

You are more than welcome...... that is what this forum is all about and apart from the 3 golden rules of photography (practise, practise, practise) this is how I have learnt a lot of whatI know and I keeplearning each time.

The Nikon D1X is not a camera I have ever been able to play with so have just had a quick look at Steve's review and the info you need is on http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...ond1x_pg2.html

The option you want is [S] (shutter priority) and is found near the bottom of the page. Shutter priority will allow you to select how fast the shutter fires for every shot and then the camera will select the desired aperture.

This is the sort of effect you will be able to get with a shutter speed of about 1/160th and a fast moving object. (I would show you one of my motocross ones but I'm not overly happy with them).

Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:32 PM   #7

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Good colour and I like the timing on the first one!!

As Steve pointed out (back to front :blah

Mark
Bah, it was 8.22am, I was on auto pilot. Yadda yadda.

Cracking caterham/westfield shot there Mark, one of the hillclimbs?
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:39 PM   #8
Super Moderator

LOL.... I'm always in bed at 8.22am so I fully understand.

Yes that was taken at a place called Wiscombe which is about20 mins away from Exeter in Devon. It'sa great place to shoot and I have sold quite a few photos from people attending as there are no other photogs who attend just a video guy who is really cool and I might see if we can do some joint work somehow. There areover 1000 car and bike pics taken at this venue on my site so feel free to have a look www.photographysmith.co.uk

Oh and I think that was a Westfield. I would love to have anything Lotus 7 inspired and have been fortunate do drive a few both on the road as well as the track. Only problem is I'm 6'5" so I struggle to get comfortable, but hey it's worth it.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:29 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I was just looking at some pics taken at a local motocross track to me and the guy is getting some quite good shots (better than I was able to on my only attempt so far).

Have a look at http://www.landrakemotoparc.com/MXDN...s_daverich.htm

Also if you download a prog called Opanda iExif it will allow you to right click on a picture and find out what settings were used for each one..... very helpful to allow you to learn (that is how I knew what camera you had).

Before shooting an event I always try to find shots from other people to see the sort of thing I like/don't like.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:33 AM   #10

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I was just looking at some pics taken at a local motocross track to me and the guy is getting some quite good shots (better than I was able to on my only attempt so far).

Have a look at http://www.landrakemotoparc.com/MXDN...s_daverich.htm

Also if you download a prog called Opanda iExif it will allow you to right click on a picture and find out what settings were used for each one..... very helpful to allow you to learn (that is how I knew what camera you had).

Before shooting an event I always try to find shots from other people to see the sort of thing I like/don't like.
Im laughing hysterically cause Ive been right and left clickingeverything in site to try and figure out how you knew my settings!! Thanks for the tip!