Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

Feel free to critique...it was my first try at this type of racing without a very good vantage point.

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:20 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Number 1 is almost a fantastic shot, just a shame that the bike is to the left of the frame rather than the right apart from that it is really good. Even at 1/500th you have a good feeling of speed and it is also really sharp. Nice job.

The others feel a little uncomfortable to look at and don't have quite the same punch as you are a bit further away....... wouldn't it be easier if we all had tons money to buy the longest lenses lol.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:36 AM   #3

I agree. 1 is a great shot. On 2, the angle just isn't right and 3 & 4 are a bit soft.

Still, for never having shot this type of thing before I think it's an excellent start.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:09 AM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I agree. 1 is a great shot. On 2, the angle just isn't right and 3 & 4 are a bit soft.

Still, for never having shot this type of thing before I think it's an excellent start.
By angle do you mean me shooting "from behind" so to speak?2, 3 and 4 were croppedto eliminate a tower, a wall andspectators. For #1 I was able to get a good up close vantage point until the crowds started pouring in and security "showed" me the spectators' area. If I can recall correctly, thats where the rest were taken.

As far as the long lens'...how true that is but until then Id settle forunlimited access to the events of my choice. Better start saving up for the lens', huh?:-)
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:13 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Ah, security...... fun!!! When you are happier with shooting and want to move things forward further (quite a few of us here have websites where our work can be purchased) then find out if you can sign in as media with the event organisers. This is how I get far better shots as you get closer to the action and have less obstacles in the way of the shot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:14 AM   #6

Yep - I meant from behind - it's compounded, IMO by the lean of the lead driver - so he's past your vantage point and leaning away. Now, take my comments with a grain of salt - I don't shoot motor or bike sports my comments are purely based on my personal reaction to the shot and why it doesn't work for me. One of these days I'd love to try shooting something like this - it would be a lot of fun, I think, to shoot something so different.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:09 PM   #7

To bad you couldn't get a little bit closer to #3. I had a sportbike for a while and I know good angles are hard to get, especially when they're moving that fast.
rockstarb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:24 PM   #8

Yea that wouldve been a great shot from close up. I took that one from the stands, not an ideal place to shoot from at all! Oh well.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:36 PM   #9

That first shot is outsanding... great crispness and clarity ... and maintaining good sense of speed.....

Your panning with that bike was spot on. Mat Mladin is always a good subject too...

Shooting from the stands is always a dodgy place... I was recently at Phillip Island for a track day and have started a new thread....

How are you reducing the size of your files and keeping the shooting data?
Aussie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:52 AM   #10

Thanks for the compliment! I use Nikon Capture for the RAW image adjustments and Nikon View for smaller adjustments and reducing the file size. I assume it just keeps the data. I just recently found out that my pics had data stored in them and could be looked at! I always thought that was something I could only see in my programs:roll:.