Photo !
Canon 250D XT 70-200 F4 Non IS F4 1/400 ISO 1600 Not processed
Attached Images

tdgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:51 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi TGDM and welcome to the forums :-)

For me this is too wide a shot so the eye is not taken to the action. Also I would always process a photo in PS as this is all part of digital photography. There seems to be an opinion that if you don't PP then your work you are a better shooter but don't get caught going down this route. When everyone shot on film then there was still quite a bit the was done during the processing and we now have a PC to do this instead. However there is a limit to how much you should do and it comes with experience (I for one am not the best at this but learning).

Looking at the histogram on my PC it seems to be very underexposed so would do some level adjustment to pick it up.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:45 AM   #3

Hi and welcome!

Mark hit on one of my pet peeves: process your images. Processing is a huge part of sports photography so if you want to do this type of photography learn how to post process (cropping, USM, levels/curves, dodging, saturation, color correction) - all are necessary - most especially for nighttime footbal.

Having said that, I'll move on to the photo:

It's too wide right now, you need to crop down tight on the action. The shot is also underexposed by about a stop so you'll need to correct that if possible. The challenge with this shot is it isn't very interesting action. The only thing that tends to make a shot like this remotely interesting is the eyes of the carrier - are they reacting to the defender? From that disance with that focal length it will be difficult to get facial detals from a night game.

In general though, I think you want to shoot night football you'll need to get a 2.8 lens and possibly an external flash. Underexposure is going to continue to be your biggest obstacle using the otherwise fantastic 70-200 f4.

I would, however, encourage you to take a cut at processing the photo and seeking more feedback.

Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:46 PM   #4

If I were to crop this id justgo in tight withthe 3 guys on the left...do you guys think its too much?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I personally think the square crop works best for this one (have tried both so have a look).
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:00 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Or
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:03 PM   #7

Yes, totally agree. The lone guy adds nothing to the scene whatsoever. I justtry to stay away from squareshots for some reason-dont know why, never read that I should.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:00 PM   #8
Super Moderator

They are not something that I offer on my site and have never had anything printed in 1:1 format however I am just putting a book together to contain examples of my work and on a few pages I have 8"x8" shots so will be interested to see what they come out like. I probably should try a few things out rather than always going for a 3:2 format shot.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:40 AM   #9

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Will incorparate into next weeks photo Hope it is a local game otherwise I am not sure I can drive the 100 miles for the next playoff game. Have obtained a better flash (580X) and I am using an F2.8 lens (70-200 now). Reviewed comments n 2nd submitted photoas well and the examples of post processing are great yes the ball would have been great. Hey as a beginner just getting the shot was luck.

I will kep trying.

Any suggestions on where to get help with ways to post process???

TDGM
tdgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:38 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Hi TDGM, that's cool, and I agree 100 miles is a bit far. As for post processing JohnG is pretty proficient at this as he shoots a lot of football at 3200ISO so knows the score. The thing to remember is to get a good exposure in the first place (check the histogram on the camera when you take your shots if you are not sure what you are getting and then the PP will be easier as you have a better shot to work with).

As for shooting sports with flash it is not something I have tried so can't offer any advice but you do have the best flash that Canon produce (I use it for portrait/landscape work) and it is great.