Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:00 PM   #1

The good news was it was held at a local college so the lighting was excellent. The bad news was it was my first time so my technique leaves much to be desired. But you can't learn if you don't get constructive criticism. So, let me have it :-)

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2
spy

ALL RIGHT John! Good job on your timing. You nailedit on #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9. Which mode and settings were you shooting in in order track the swimmer? Did you use your 70 - 200 or the sigma 120 - 300 and did you use flash?:|

Did you stay to shoot other events or was it only to shoot the IM?

It's not very often that the lighting isas goodin otherindoor pools like this one so youwere very lucky.

How'd you feel shooting a different sport?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:12 AM   #3

Thanks Spy.

I used the 70-200 as she was in lane 5 and it was a short course pool so I thought the 120 would be too tight for the front shots.

Shot manual mode - ISO 1600, 1/500, f4.0

Yes I realize I'm lucky. It was at a college so outstanding lighting. The gym I go to has a pool where a local high school has their practices and meets. I'd say that pool is about 3 EV darker.

I was really there just to cover 1 athlete - the daughter of a friend at work. I shot some of the IM races before hers just to practice. But left after her race.

As for flash - the meet organizer said it was not allowed so I wasn't going to push the issue.

As for shooting a different sport - it's always fun. It's interesting to see the different challenges presented by a given sport. It gets a little boring shooting the same sport(s) after a while. So it's nice to have a change of pace in there. I'm hoping to do some wrestling this winter for a newspaper I freelance for as I've never shot wrestling before.

As for swimming - I'd definitely do it again. But, I would think this a very difficult sport to cover the event rather than a particular athlete. I would think you would need 2 photogs - and even then it would be VERY hectic. Not sure how I would develop a workflow to keep the athletes clear (i.e. be able to seperate and group photos by athlete) if needed. So yes I'd do it again, but I'm not sure in what capacity.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:46 AM   #4

John,

Good set. You caught the action quite well. The only one I can really find something I did not like is the third shot with the hands cut off. Really for a first time you did good!

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:34 PM   #5

Number two is a peach. Timing bang on and the expression i excellent.

I prefer the head on to the sideways.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:58 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Steven - I generally tend to agree - but especially on freestyle there isn't an interesting view 'head on' since you never see the face. I've seen some nice backstroke photos from 'behind' as the swimmer swims away though.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:19 PM   #7

Nice job John! Ive been inspired to try my hand at swimming...Id be very pleased to have that kind of result my first time out!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 1:17 AM   #8

Very nice swim pics. You said the meet organizer told you not to use flash. That is correct as is distracts the swimmers, especially at the start. In addition to the starter buzzer, there is usually a flash to signal the start.

In swimming, there is no 2nd chance if they false start and DQ, so it would be a shame if a swimmer thought a photographer was the start of the race.

My daughter is starting up swim season again in high school, so I hope to get some nice shots, but up here in the northwest, all the pools are indoors and the skies are grey.

Jeff
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote