Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:33 PM   #1

Images of youth soccer today and post processing. Comments opinion etc Please and thanks ahead of time.
Attached Images

tdgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:35 PM   #2

2nd image
Attached Images

Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:02 AM   #3

I messed with your photo a bit. Hope you don't mind. My version is not very good but now we can see their faces. What do you think?

Attached Images

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:15 AM   #4

OK, not bad for a start.

On the first image, there are 2 major problems keeping the image from being as good as it could be. The first is that it was taken at f8. I believe you used the sports mode of the camera ? If so, you need to get out of that mode. For starters, use Aperture priority mode - with aperture set wide open (for whatever lens you're using). Start ISO at 100. Move ISO up until you're getting shutter speeds over 1/500. The problem with using f8 is that the background is too distracting - you need a wider aperture to have shallower DOF and blur the background.

The second issue is the image is underexposed by a bit - a problem with bright sunlight. The Canon metering system is designed to protect highlights - which means in bright light your subject can be drastically underexposed. Some correction can be done in post processing. But what I would suggest doing is using positive EC in these situations +1/3 or +2/3. Try EC and view results on the LCD with the histogram. Yes you may blow some highlights - but if they are in the sky or on the ball it doesn't really matter. It's the players themselves that are of interest - so it's them you want to expose for.

Here's a cut at correcting the exposure using a bit of levels adjustment and some dodging on the players.

Attached Images

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:18 AM   #5

On your second shot, you've got much better subject isolation and the exposure is better. But the crop just doesn't work for me. It appears the ball is right below the frame so it is a bit akward that you don't show it. In general it's best to have player, defender and ball in the frame UNLESS something very interesting is happening without one of the above. In this crop, there isn't much interesting going on and because the player is looking down it doesn't work as a portrait shot of the player.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks John will take all comments into consideration the next time I use the camera in that setting. Thanks again