Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:31 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

Please have a look at these two pics which show the problem I have just experiences with using custom white balance while shooting indoors. On basically ever series of photos taken they would alternate between what can be seen. Do you know what is causing this? It was also giving a similar result when shooting in auto white balance as well.

Exposure is not good as my f2.8 lens is just not bright enough but hey I was just messing around while my team were playing. Will get a 1.8 when I have some spare cash.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Shot 2
Attached Images

Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:09 PM   #3
spy

I'm assuming your using an external flash, yes?? If so, and your taking burst shots, ...the flash did not charge up fast enough for the second pic. Just my guess. I'vetaken similar burst shots where the first shot is lit up quite nicely with the flash but because the batteries were not charged up enough, the next pic shot darker.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:16 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Nope, no flash being used in this, only the lighting in the hall.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:09 PM   #5

This will be interesting because i ran into a similar situation shooting basketball last weekend. Different parts of the gym gave me different colors. I figured it might be the difference in quality or types of bulbs being used. I had a horrible time getting any uniformity amongst my shots. Man I need to learn PS!!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:14 PM   #6
Super Moderator

That is something I have come across before but with this problem it was shots in exactly the same place the varied within fractions of seconds. I am shooting at 5fps and each one of the five could be different. The only thing that I have been able to think is that the lights colour temp cycle or something. I don't know enough about lights to know if there is some form of cycling of the wavelength going on.

Any clever lighting bods out there who have any idea?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:24 PM   #7

Ive heard/read something about those types of lights recycling also. I'll look and see if I can find the article. As if shooting in these nasty little barely lit gyms wasnt bad enough, we have to time our shots to the cycling of the lights?! Can this get any tougher???LOL
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote