Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:07 PM   #11

Unfortunately - same problem. There is indeed a lot of pixelation and artifacts in these photos. Tough to say if it's a result of resizing or if the original picture files are damaged.

Did you by chance apply a heavy dose of noise reduction? That may be part of the problem.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:23 PM   #12

You never can tell for sure looking at images re-sized for the web, but I've had a chance to play with a few ISO 3200 images from a 30D and there's enough noise to definitely see it in the picture, so I'd guess there's at least been some noise reduction used in these.

Noise is not a bad thing and is unavoidable with even the best sensors today at a rating as high as ISO 3200. ISO 3200 images will never be as clean as images taken at ISO 100, and you shouldn't try to make them look like ISO 100 images, they never look as good. Viewed from normal distances, meaning don't blow it up to 100% and view it from 12 inches looking for every grain particle, digital images shot at ISO 1600-3200from even older sensors are at least as clean as what I used to see from ASA 800 film pushed two stops, and that's good enough..

These are ISO 1600

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:30 PM   #13

Here's a little bit bigger copy of one of the images from above, and 100% crop of a small area so you can see the actual noise pattern..a size you'll amost never want to view at since the image is way bigger than even my 20 inch monitor..Just think about how big I'd need to print this to get it to the same size from this small area of the file, and you view prints like that from a few feet away, not a few inches. This level of grain/noise I can live with at ISO 1600, a setting you are not going to use every day, and any DSLR today can do this well at ISO 1600without noise reduction. The larger, fullfile below the 100% cropcertainly looks good enough, at least to me.

Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:36 PM   #14

Reprocessed again no noise reduction
Attached Images

tdgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:44 PM   #15

Another reprocessed image no noise reduction
Attached Images

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:12 AM   #16

I like this one muchbetter. There's some blurring away of the detail in #31's hair in the larger originally posted image that does not appear to be happening in this newest posted file, and your ISO 3200 images look better than my ISO 800 files!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:32 AM   #17

Thanks for the comments about the images will take to heart when processing noise could be okay. :-) :?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:21 PM   #18

I shoot alot of basketball and almost always use noise reduction software. I use Noiseware Pro. I think the mistake alot of folks make with noise reduction programs is to operate on the more is better premise. I tone the noise reduction down and use just enough to smooth things out a bit and never add sharpening into the noise reduction profile.

Greg is absolutely right, trying to use noise reduction software to make an ISO3200 picture look like an ISO100 picture will not produce pleasing pictures. Some noise is actually a good thing.
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote