Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:16 PM   #1
Super Moderator

There is only so much Field Hockey that one can shoot without going crazy so manged to catch a Rugby match after today's 2 hockey matches.

I really enjoyed this shoot and although I might not have got the best shots possible it was great fun trying something new and now I have something to build on.

Please let me know what you think and any suggestions for improvement.

Full series (82 shots) can be found at http://www.photographysmith.co.uk/Ru...mber2006/HTML/

It was getting late in the day so sun was going down hence lighting was really not good. I was working with ISO of between 500 and 1600 with Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and 1.4x telecon before the light became too low.

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:10 PM   #2

Mark

Some nice shots there. I like the one of the guy catching the ball - great expression on his face - and the tackle as well. To me that's where you can get some great shots - capturing the full-on tackles and the faces that come with them. Try getting some dive passes from the scrum half or some kicks from the fly half. What also works is photos taken just before the tackle is made, there's a real sense of anticipation with them.

Still, very nice shots, good focus and good action. It'sa great game both to play and watch so I hope to see some more photos from you!

Neil
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3

I've just looked at the photos on your site and it seems you've taken a few kicks already! No 332 gets my vote.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:02 PM   #4

Mark - great stuff. Nice and sharp. Good isolation. Timing is good.

Only suggestion is boost colors a bit - they're a little flat in 1, 4 and 5. But not by much.

Really good stuff!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:36 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.

Frenchy, I'm annoyed by the shot you mention as I had only just got there and was getting the feel of play (the first time I shoot any action it takes a while to get into it) so the focal length was too short and also on the large shot it is the ball which is in focus.

I'm looking forward to getting some more Rugby shoots soon.

When are you shooting next John as we have not seen anything from you for a few days?!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:34 PM   #6

Great job newbie! LOL. For not having shot this sport it seems like you anticipated and picked up the action well. I love #s 2,4 and 5. I was wondering why you chose not to crop #1 more closely and crop #3 enough to get rid of the chopped heads. By no means am I critiqueing you, just trying to figure out the thought processes going onbehind your decisions.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:16 AM   #7
Super Moderator

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering why you chose not to crop #1 more closely and crop #3 enough to get rid of the chopped heads. By no means am I critiqueing you, just trying to figure out the thought processes going onbehind your decisions.
Thanks for you encouraging little old newbie me!!!

The crops are purely down to resolution. As these are available for the players to buy online up to 15" x 10" I don't like to crop too much in case I need to get them printed to that size. If I was purely producing for the web then yes the crops would be tighter (a longer lens would also help for some where I am up against the stops LOL).
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:22 AM   #8

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
When are you shooting next John as we have not seen anything from you for a few days?!
I've been doing a lot of traveling -- both business and personal. Have to do more next week. So it will be a couple weeks :evil:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:29 AM   #9
Super Moderator

That's not fun. I hope to get out and do some kitesurfing or something different this weekend as there is only so much Hockey I can cope with shooting :-)
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:03 AM   #10

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering why you chose not to crop #1 more closely and crop #3 enough to get rid of the chopped heads. By no means am I critiqueing you, just trying to figure out the thought processes going onbehind your decisions.
Thanks for you encouraging little old newbie me!!!

The crops are purely down to resolution. As these are available for the players to buy online up to 15" x 10" I don't like to crop too much in case I need to get them printed to that size. If I was purely producing for the web then yes the crops would be tighter (a longer lens would also help for some where I am up against the stops LOL).
Man I have SO much to learn! lol. So you leave them the original size until you decide how large of a print is needed and then work around that parameter?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote