Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:06 PM   #1

Hello all. Took some surfing shots over the weekend. I have a pentax k100d and used the sigma 70-300mm apo dg lens.

Focal length=300, Tv=1/1500, Av=8, Iso=800

Focal length=170, Tv=1/3000, Av=8, Iso=800

Focal length=300, Tv=1/3000, Av=8, Iso=800

Focal length=300, Tv=1/4000, Av=8, Iso=800

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Royce,

Good series of shots, but I'm intrigued to your position when shooting (I'm guessing you weren't in a helicopter!!).

The exposure seemsOK ifa little on the dark side when looking at the faces but the action and angles you have captured are very cool. The only thingIwould suggestfor you if you are going to be printing is to lower the ISO to reduce noiseas long as you are getting 1/800th then I would not be concerned, you don't need to be up at that 1/3000thfor a lens of that length.

Looking forward to seeing more shots from you.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:12 AM   #3

Mark. Thank you very much for your helpful feedback. I was standing on a pier and the waves were breaking right below me. There were a handful of surfers that were having fun down below. It was an dark overcast day and so these pics were brightened quite a bit with ps. I used apeture priority set at f/8.0 and let the camera figure out the Tv. I set my ISO at 800 worried that these quick surfers would be blurred due to the dim daylight. Next time I will try a lower ISO and shorter Tv and see how it goes. Thanks again.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:25 AM   #4
Super Moderator

After what you have just said it might also be worth over exposing as by one or two thirds (possibly more) as it sound like the metering system was confused by the amount of white in the water causing your main subject to be under exposed. If you also try a centre weighted, centre of spotmetering that might help as well (if doing this you might not need to over expose but possibly under expose as you would then be picking up the black of the wetsuits). If the light is pretty consistent then you could go for manual but that will depend how much it is changing as they go past you etc. The best thing is to give it a try, review on the camera and check out the histogram (by the sounds of it everything will need to be over to the right a little rather than centre) and modify as you go.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hope this helps.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote