Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Ok, I know Im far fromwhereI want to be and by no means am I bragging BUT, thanks tothe help Ive received here, Ive come a LONG way...at least,I think so! Please, as always, feel free to comment and critique.

PIC 1--No editing other than size reduction andRAW to JPEG conversion

PIC2--Cropped,Contrast/WB adjustments and Sharpened

PIC3--No editing other than size reduction and RAW to JPEG conversion

PIC4--Cropped, Noise reduction, Contrast/WB adjustments and Sharpened

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:34 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I agree with you, you have come along very well and have got the hang of PP (post processing for anyone who is new looking at this) to get a good finished result. That 50mm 1.4 lens seems to be working well for you too. The only thing I would have a look at is straightening the second pic..... it is not too bad as the setting of f2.2 has blown it out well enough not to be too distracting, but when looking again it is noticeable.

Keep up the good work!!!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:40 AM   #3

Well done. Those are looking very good!

My only criticism is the framing on the first shot. You've got dead space behind all the action and the defender cut off in front. Even if the defender weren't there, in 90% of the cases it's better to have dead space in front of your subject than behind. Really like the framing on shot 2 though!!

Keep up the good work!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the comment guys. Now thatI dont have to worry AS much about the correct exposure, I can concentrate more on framing, as was suggested. Im still fumbling to get the right distance with that 50. Now Im finding myself too close to the action and cutting off defenders, as you can see. One question. When I enlarge the 2nd pic to greater than 50% I still have some noise. Is that acceptable? Early on I was finding that I overcorrected on the noise reduction and the kids looked fake-if that makes sense. Im still trying to learn the noise reduction aspect and fine tuning it for each pic but have decided that a little noise is better than fake subjects. Any comments?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:10 AM   #5

A little noise is fine - it's preferable to the 'plastic' look you mention when too much noise reduction is applied.

How much noise always depends on what the final medium is - web or print. And if print, what size? Let's face it, the majority of photos typically don't get printed larger than 8x10 - most will be 4x6 (if personal use). So, take some test prints - you'll see that noise isn't too much of an issue even at 8x10. It always looks worse on a monitor viewed at 100%
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:43 AM   #6

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Well done. Those are looking very good!

My only criticism is the framing on the first shot. You've got dead space behind all the action and the defender cut off in front. Even if the defender weren't there, in 90% of the cases it's better to have dead space in front of your subject than behind. Really like the framing on shot 2 though!!

Keep up the good work!!
John, took your comment to heart and had a closer look at my pictures with that in mind. Found that MANY shots were framed this way. After much thought, I realized thatIvebeen focusing oneach player on our team instead of the shot itself, if that makes sense. Last gameI made it a point to correct this but found myself trying to frame between the players, which the camera saw as empty space, therefore not being able to focus.I highlited the outside focusing point in the viewfinder and voila! I must say however, this DID up the difficulty level quite a bit. Here's an example, and as always, everyonefeel free to critique.

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:41 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I like this shots, especially the expressions on their faces. Only thing I would change would be to straighten the horizon and then it would be looking very good. Although this is quite wide (as would be expected with your lens) it works well.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:29 PM   #8

Good eye Mark! Man, just whenI think I have it! LOL. Ive never changed a horizon, will Photoshop allow me to do that?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Super Moderator

LOL.... it sure will. However I'm not sure what tool you have to use as I am a Paintshop Pro user (photoshop is the cost of the next lens I want and I know what will come first...... however this keeps happening so looks like I am stuck with Paintshop Pro hehe).

One of the PS users should be able to point you in the right direction for an easy tool however there should be a rotate image option where you can select the amount to rotate by but it would be a bit of trial and error.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:44 PM   #10

Thanks for coming through again for me! Where doI send the consulting fee check? lol