Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 28, 2006, 8:50 AM   #1

All I was allowed to bring in last night was the point and shoot...and they do not allow you to use your flash when sitting on the floor. Without any processing, I think this one is as good as it's going to get. Any suggestions or how to improve my shots with the camera restrictions that the NBA places on spectator cameras (i.e. no lens over 4")? I realize that with a p&s trying to capture motion will not work to well but are there any particular settings I would want to adjust on my p&s to optimize the "still shots" that I can take?

mctrees02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:44 AM   #2

Inever go to Mavs or Stars games anymore for that exact reason. No need to go just to see them when every freakin' game is on TV. I'm as big a fan as anyone, but they can keep their tickets with the policies they've adopted. There's no legitimate excuse, not even homeland security,not to let someone in with a camera and lens with no bag.Heck, the TexasRangers let me bring my whole bag of equipment in to The Ballpark as long as it'll fit under the seat.

They also make a big deal out of "no movie cameras", but doesn't anyone dealing with security in those places realizeevery point & shoot digicam can do movies? Just wait...that'll be next. Your days of being able to take even your point & shoot in may be numbered.

Do you have Photoshop? You can try the levels function and/or the highlights/shadows slider and you should be able to remove some of the haze in the image.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:54 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. Now that I have a dSLR I can't wait to get out to Rangers games next year and fire away on pics. I wonder if the Stars have similar policies to the Mavs. Yeah the haze in that picture is definitely illuminated by the fact that they were spotlighting the tipoff. I've never seen them darken the place down and put a spotlight over the tip...but maybe it was something new they are trying. I don't yet have Photoshop but I'll send it over to a friend and see what he can to clean it up for me.

Onething that cracked me up last night...a guy about 6 rows behind me had a dSLR and about a 6" lens on the camera. I guess if you put in your wife's purse when you come in they don't check as that is just passed around the metal detector and never searched. Then again, with where I sat last night they would've jumped on me in a heartbeat if I had pulled out a dSLR. Evidently the more you pay for tickets the more rules you have to follow...and the seats in our row are smaller than they are 10 rows up. Just glad I wasn't in the first few rows cuz then you're in a freakin' folding chair. How crazy is that?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4

You can also try correcting the image using Photoshop Elements "smart fix" filter. It's amazing how my girlfriend can correct her Digital Elph images with just one click of that button.

I think the policy is pretty much anything at American Airlines Center. I used to go to Stars games and shoot with my Digital Rebel and a 70-200 f4L zoom and sit in the lower half of the upper deck. Last time I went I BARELY got in..they called a couple of supervisors over and made me wait a few minutes. People going in give you this look like someonegot caught trying to sneak inan anti-tank rocketlauncher.I even got the same treatment at the Cotton Bowl game last January 1, and forget trying to take anything with a separate lens to Cowboys games.

Then go to a Rangers game. I see people in the lowerstands around mewith their 300mm super tele primeson a monopod in the stands.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:40 PM   #5

Yeah I was definitely worried when I went to SLC/Trinity last Friday at Texas Stadium but once I saw 3 or 4 Southlake people with their dSLR's I figured I would be safe to take it in for a high school game.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 PM   #6

I had a few problems getting into the Ford Center in OKC to watch the Hornets but they were all real nice and I got a few pictures.

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:12 AM   #7

I picked up my 18 - 200mm AF-S DX VR Nikon lens today and I am wrapt with the size and versatlility of it... its going with me to the next indoor event I am going to.... and its only 4 inches long when flacid and extends to 6 3/4 inches when erect... kinda like.... maybe not a good analogy. :lol:

Aussie G is offline   Reply With Quote