Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:54 PM   #1

Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D w/ KM AF DT 18-200mm f3.5-6.3

Exposed at 160mm, f6.3 at 1/500 sec. Cropped.

Exposed at 50mm, f5 at 1/250 sec. Cropped

Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:01 AM   #2

Really like the concept in the second shot. IMO, though the image is too soft for such a tight crop. If you haven't yet applied any, some USM will help but I'm not sure it will eliminate the softness. Panning can be extremely difficult. Unfortunately it's not an area of sports shooting I have tremendous experience with. I know some of our other members shoot more sports requiring this technique so perhaps they can offer some better advice on how to get sharper images when panning.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I think I fall into the category ofone of the "members shoot more sports requiring this technique" so thought I would throw in my 2 pennies.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"For me the first shot does not really workas there is not a strong enough subject to focus the eye on. The second shot is a lot better and you have captured the movement well. I think the sharpness issue is down to using Unsharp Mask as just tried it on you photo and it looks much better. If you were going for this effect I would try a little slower to get the feeling of more movement still. When shooting action with slow shutter speeds you will find that not all of your subject is sharp as the angles change so whatever part you want to be sharp keep that in the same point of the frame as you shoot. for example I would say the riders head when doing horse racing, the driver in a car, sometimes I go for the front grill but the best thing to is to try different shutter speeds concentrating on different parts of your subject.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote