Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:54 AM   #1

Here are a few pictures from glorious Pasadena. BTW the weather was great!!!!!!!!! 75 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

lakerstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:50 AM   #2

no pictures
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3
spy

I can imagine...
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:06 AM   #4

Sorry, I'm having problems with my ISP.

Here's a link with a few pics....

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewShare...bBXiXp6w%3d%3d

Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:08 PM   #5

I'd say the first 2 shots have some promise. The second shot is a little slanted. I think in both shots, a wider angle would work better. The first shot would work better if taken from a lower angle, IMO (I'm betting before the game started you could have walked down the stands to get a bit closer). Both of these shots can work because they show atmosphere of the game.

The game-time shots don't do anything for me. I don't get a sense of atmosphere and you're way too far away to try and show action on the field.

In general, I think several types of shots work well in the stands:

1. Ultra-wide angle shots that show the whole stadium and give you a feeling for the whole event (again, need very wide angle - showing a section of the crowd just doesn't work).

2. In tight shots of fans reacting to the game - you need to be fairly tight to a person or group so you can see facial expressions for this to work.

3. Action shots - this one is tough because quite frankly most situations you're not going to be near close enough to get good action shots - especially in football. To me, you need to be able to fill the frame with a subject and have good detail for action shots to work - that's not possible when you're 100 yards away from where the action is occuring.

So, if you can't go ultra-wide, consentrate on the crowd shots - which of course can be very tricky because the angles are not very good.

Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:04 PM   #6

Thanks John for the advice.

I'm just getting used to using this camera (Kodak P880) and I wanted just to capture a few pics to rub it in on my brother-in-law who is a huge USC fan who now lives in Sooner country. Yeah I was high up in the stands and I don't yet have a telephoto, so action shots were pretty much out of the question. Actually I was to into the game to really concentrate on the types of shot to shoot, but next time I think I will take your advice and try to get there early (which is really challenging with LA traffic) to get more closeups.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7

Oh I completely understand. I live in Ohio so I'm a Buckeye's fan. I have a friend who works in LA (a transplant from Ohio and an even bigger Buckeye fan). So, he was having a good time rubbing the loss in to all the folks at work. He's just disappointed he didn't get to do it after OSU beat them for the national title.

Enjoy your new toy! And keep sharing.