Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1

Hi All

See shots from drag day last weekend. My first time using the 350d in fast shutter sitations

MIxing the Nitro

NItro car slicks

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:59 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Ken,

Good to see you trying something new!!! Great sharpness and lovely colour captured here. I also like the 'still' shots you took of the blower etc and the one looking straight onto the car is cool too.

I personally would be either looking for a narrower dof to separate the cars from the background or (and this is my preference) using a slower shutter speed to capture the movement. This is a more interesting technique and will take longer to master (I'm still trying) but the results can be very impressive. I have never tried drag racing so don't know what settings to go for, but I would think that 1/160-1/250 would be a good start as they are fast moving.

Hope you get to shoot some more as I would like to see the results.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:53 AM   #3

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken,

Good to see you trying something new!!! Great sharpness and lovely colour captured here. I also like the 'still' shots you took of the blower etc and the one looking straight onto the car is cool too.

I personally would be either looking for a narrower dof to separate the cars from the background or (and this is my preference) using a slower shutter speed to capture the movement. This is a more interesting technique and will take longer to master (I'm still trying) but the results can be very impressive. I have never tried drag racing so don't know what settings to go for, but I would think that 1/160-1/250 would be a good start as they are fast moving.

Hope you get to shoot some more as I would like to see the results.

Mark
thanks mate

I was shooting these at well over 1/1000 i think was shooting with a narrow ap bcse i have had issues with a lack of sharpness due to my dof being too shallow. FOr this day iwanted to focus on achieveing consistent clear and sharp shots. I thought about shifting to a 1/100 shuter for the paning shots but i think i am to close to the track and the cars are moving to quick for me.

Maybe in time

thanks for the comments

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:00 AM   #4
Super Moderator

That's cool and you did manage to get the shots as desired which is a lot of the battle. You will be surprised how good you can get shots when something is moving really fast past you, just play around with shutter speeds to find what works for the distance/speed of subject. Once your body is used to the fast panning action required then it will be reasonably easy (well sort of) to get sharp shots.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote