Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1

I love watching these guys doing this. It happens soooo fast.
Attached Images

Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2

Thunder,

Very good timing. A few suggestions for next time, if you don't mind:

1. You have a lot of dead space to the right and up in your photo which detract from the action. If you want to shoot loose, you should crop down on the action after the fact.

2. Especially when shooting so loose, try not to lose body parts - the bodies are cut off at the bottom.

3. Watch your flash settings - if you wish to use flash, try to get the best non-flash exposure you can and use the flash for more of a fill (i.e. cut down on the flash power) - the flash here is a bit harsh and overwhelming your subjects a little.

The great news is, you have good timing. The above items are easily fixable and should yield even better shots next time.

Keep up the good work!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply JohnG. Wrestling can be very fast paced. I missed the best part of the action when they were vertical. I just through up and shot. I too didn't like it when I cut off part of the body. The wrestler did like the shot.

I use mostly my kit lense 18-70 which is good on my half of the matt but on the back side of the matt I get dead space. When the parent wants the picture I will crop at that time. I have a Sigma 70-200 I use some but it so heavy. Ideally I would love to have the Nikon 18-200 but $ is the hold up right now. I am still playing with my flash settings.

Thanks again.

Steve
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4

Thunder wrote:
Quote:
When the parent wants the picture I will crop at that time.
Thanks again.

Steve
Steve - to a degree I understand what you're saying. But let me ask you: are you giving away your photos or selling them to the parents?

If you're giving them away then I agree with your approach - why spend time with no payback. But if you're selling the images, you really want them to be as good as possible when the parents see them. If you were selling a car yourself, would you have people view it covered in mud and dirt? Or would you clean it up so it looks it's best? Cropping takes a few seconds (and yes I'm sure you have more photos, but we all do - I process 100-200 photos per event I shoot and usually do 2 events per week).

Still, to each his own! Happy shooting!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote