Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 28, 2006, 7:09 PM   #1
Super Moderator

This was not the most enjoyable kitesurfing I have shot as the wind was not great (so no big airs) and also it was very overcast so I had to run at ISO 1250 and still struggled to get a good shutter speed.

The Exif is intact for these shots but for focal length and aperture you will need to double it as the 2x telecon I use does not allow the camera to recognise the change in either of these settings (which is a pain).

I hope to get out again in the next couple of days to see if the conditions have improved.

However I can't really complain as Jo Wilson was riding (the woman) and she is one of the top, if not the top UK woman. She finished 4th in the worldtour which I guess makes her pretty good and by far outshone any of the men riding today.

Let me know what you think!!

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:42 AM   #2
spy

She makes it look far to easy! All the shots are very good Mark. What is your equipment you shoot with and why could you not shoot higher ISO's?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 5:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Spy, that was me just ranting about how bad the weather was rather than the equipment. I use a 30D so could have gone for 1600 or 3200 if needed but the 1250 did the trick ok and kept the noise at an OK level to sell them (even with noiseware and a good exposure I'm not keen to sell work on my site but it's ok if it's for a specific job). I was also using the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with 2x telecon at f6.4.

Good news as well, Jo is going to use some of my shots on her website and we are going to go out for a better shoot in the next few days.... just need some better weather.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:16 AM   #4

Good stuff mark - #4 is the winner for me. Unfortunately the 'front shots' of her are a bit too soft (as compared to say the last shot) so given the distances and the need to use a 2x TC I think the shots with action as the focus work better.

Now if you just had that 120-300 and were using THAT lens with the TC - :blah: Just yankin' your chain, bud. Keep up the good work and you'll have the money built up in no time to get it!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:20 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks John..... tell me about it I knew it was going to be touch as the lens was bouncing around near infinity which is never good for a strong image but hey it was better than no shot (just LOL). The weather here is terrible but she is off to the beach again this afternoon so I am just off to see if I can get any more but this time she will possibly work with me (we had not been in touch before). I also really fancy getting my hands on the 300-800 if things go really well (I would love to make kitesurfing, windsurfing, surfing etc my thing).

Catch you later.