Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:45 PM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
In #1 & #2, I think the ceiling is distracting. If you were crouched down, then if you stood up it might not have been as bad.

In #4 & #5, the ceiling was out of focus (probably due to a narrower depth of field) so it wasn't as distracting.

Otherwise, nice action shots!
I see what you're saying Tcav. I'll have to watch for that on the next go round
soliz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:56 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Looking like you have your timing pretty good and selecting good positioning however it looks to me as if you have underexposed these. I would going for manual exposure as with AV it is going to try to meeter each shot and with those lights in the background the likely outcome is what we are seeing here. The only one that looks to be exposed correctly is number 4 (remember as JohnG is an expert at pointing out it is the face of the player that we should be exposing for) to get correct exposure take a couple of test shots, check them out in the preview and adjust as needed.

Hope that helps!!

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:06 PM   #13

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Looking like you have your timing pretty good and selecting good positioning however it looks to me as if you have underexposed these. I would going for manual exposure as with AV it is going to try to meeter each shot and with those lights in the background the likely outcome is what we are seeing here. The only one that looks to be exposed correctly is number 4 (remember as JohnG is an expert at pointing out it is the face of the player that we should be exposing for) to get correct exposure take a couple of test shots, check them out in the preview and adjust as needed.

Hope that helps!!

Mark
Thanks for the feedback Mark. I do shoot mostly in AV priority mode. I havent' really tried full manual just yet. I'll definitely try a few manual shots on my next go around.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:13 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Most of the time for sports I shoot Av however indoors I always go for manual as light is pretty constant so once you have the exposure correct you can shoot all day. There might be 'hot spots' where lighting is better however they should not give too much difference.

Both Av and Tv can cause problems when light or dark kit is worn (light will under expose the shot, dark will over expose) so if light is constant outdoors I will also use manual however being in the UK it is usually very changeable.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 9:24 AM   #15

soliz39 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Mark. I do shoot mostly in AV priority mode. I havent' really tried full manual just yet. I'll definitely try a few manual shots on my next go around.
Here's an example of why you should shoot manual mode whenever you can - especially indoors:

Last week when I shot a basketball game I had home team in white and visiting in dark (pretty common scenario). For giggles I put the camera in Av mode at f2.0. When pointing at the visiting team the camera metered at 1/400 when pointing at the home team the camera metered at 1/800 - 1/1000. That's a big swing. But guess what stays the same? The skin tones. Regardless of the uniform color, the skin tones stay the same. So, I set it in manual mode at 1/400 and things were great - no blown highlights and the faces were exposed properly.

Even outdoors, that change in uniform colors can really throw your exposure fora loop - when shooting at low ISOs it isn't so much of a big deal - set some EC and if you still have some under-exposure it's easily corrected. But when you're shooting at higher ISOs you want to nail the exposure in-camera (and it's the faces that matter - not the uniforms) to keep noise levels at a minimum.

The only time I shoot AV for sports anymore is if there is inconsistant lighting in my shooting area (basesball/softball where home plate is in shade for instance) or when sun is moving in and out of the clouds constantly. Otherwise uniforms will kill you every time - especially white ones.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 5:39 PM   #16

Good info there John. I also noticed these radical swings in shutter speed because of uniform colors. But becuase of my lack in experience I simply tried focusing on more neutral colors (faces). I have actually shot indoor basketball in shutter priority with fairly good luck. But i think it's time to experiment a bit in manual mode. The info is greatly appreciated.