Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:22 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Personally breast and butterfly from in front of the swimmer as they rise up out of the water taking a big breath and pulling hard have looked good and would love to see more of those.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:41 AM   #12
spy

Thanks guys:!:John as far as shooting other sports...I have been asked to shoot a bobsleigh competition Jan. 9th and I'm just waiting for further confirmation before taking half the day off from my normal work to do this. I have an "in" to shoot other high level athletes in the Canadian Nation Team which will happen for me this year. The one lined up for this is "working on her tan" before I take pictures:?.

I do spend a lot of my time at the pool as my two kids have been competing for the last 7 years and it looks like other swim clubs have noticed my presence and have now asked for my services which means....more (individual) swimming pictures. My main focus is to capture the "individual" for their year end photo placed with their team picture. My view of what the "individual year endphoto" should be should at least depict "what the swimmer (athlete) does" in the sport.

As per normal, in previous years, a photographer is hired by the club to shoot the year end photo which is the swimmer carefully stepping into the pool up to their mid section being aware not to get their perfectly combed hair wet. Put on a smile and wahhh laaaahhhh you have the perfect manicured picture. Much like any other sport year end photo. Lets pic on soccer. Usually the picture is of some kid standing there holding the ball smiling at the camera. DOES THIS DEPICT THE SPORT????

Mark, (John, this applies to you too) I don't know if your shooting year end photos of hockey players (or other)for a club but think of what the "normal" photo usually is. They're boring. Now look at the pictures on hockey cards and you've just foundintensity, concentration and spirit. It shows the sport. The athlete isn't posing and smiling at the camera.

So my main style of shooting is for year end photos combined with putting a power point show together with music.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:04 AM   #13

Spy,

I couldn't agree more - posed shots suck! I also agree that shots that focus on the athlete doing their thing are the best. IMO though shots like 4 & 5 the focus is on the water and not very interesting shots of the athletes themselves. The 1st shot is sharp and detailed - just boring. The athlete does not appear to be doing his/her thing. So, as artistic shots, they're fine. But they don't do much to highlight the athlete themselves. That's all I was getting at. Nothing wrong with doing both kinds of shots. Just trying to say why I don't think those types work as well FOR ME as the ones that highlight the athlete in motion.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:41 AM   #14
spy

I know what your saying about 'highlighting the athlete'. The ultimate shot is showing tons of energy, but that only comes with shooting the older athletes starting at 13 years oldand up. 15 - 17and older ismuch better.Though it is possible to find energy at times in a shot of a younger athlete (swimming) it is however quite rare so with this age range (10 and under) the shot is betterfeaturingmore of anartistic anglethan it is to show passion and then when the age group falls down to 5 - 7, their just trying to "survive" the race and at times I think they're going to slip under the water and never come back up.

The next 2shots featurestwo swimmers in the 14 - 15 year old age range.
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:42 AM   #15
spy

Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:43 AM   #16

spy wrote:
Quote:
their just trying to "survive" the race and at times I think they're going to slip under the water and never come back up.
Hmm, sounds like what would happen if I had to swim a race :G
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:29 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Cool, I like those two captures and hadn't really thought about the age thing but it is right. It is similar to watching a mens hockey match rather than a ladies especially the lower ladies teams (sorry not being sexist just talking from experience).
Old Jan 4, 2007, 3:27 PM   #18

Spy,I have to admit to being pretty fed up with the seaminglyendless " same old" swim meetpics. But that's a "no nothing" mentality, now you've explained the need for a sertain style of pics for your customers. I'm sorry!I

I love the last #2 pics they show such energy & passion, i would love to see more of your "sports shots" as well. Kind regards Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:47 AM   #19
spy

bluesman graham wrote:
Quote:
Spy,I have to admit to being pretty fed up with the seaminglyendless " same old" swim meetpics.
Graham, I can't help but take those words as being emotionally driven. I certainly never intended to make anyone "fed up" with my pictures. Every photographer that posts their "style" of sport shooting on this forum and beyound, all post "seamingly endless pics" of the sport(s) they like to shoot. If your looking for originality or would like to show me how to shoot"original" pics that capture that WOW factor, you need to post them otherwise all the pics here are "same old".

How many times do you need to see a basketball player shooting for the hoop to call them "same old" or a football player running with the ball or a motorcycle in mid air to be fed up with them? The group of us photographers could all just pack up and go away and you'd have nothing to look at.

I offer my style, that is all and for now this style is in demand with the parents and 3 swim clubs that are paying good $$ for them. I don't want to turn this into a 'pissing match' but I also don't want to negitively charge one emotionally with the pictures I post either.

Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:56 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Time Out!!!

I'm not sure if Graham worded that correctly as I love seeing the swimming shots you take especially the high energy ones. We all post a lot of our shots from the sports we mainly cover (hockey for me) and I don't think we should stop that.

I hope it was not my initial comment that started this off as I didn't mean you should stop posting rather I was saying your work is very good and you are consistently getting great results and just wondered what the next steps might be.

We all need to keep posting, keep learning, and keep encouraging each other!!

Mark