Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:27 PM   #1

I will be photographing girls varsity basketball at my local high school gym this evening and will be using a Canon 10 D with a 24-70 mm f 2.8 and a 70-200 mm f 2.8 lens and a monopod. What setting can I put thecamera on to ensure I get sharp photos?

Best,

Jerry
TXPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:28 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Sorry to say unless you have an amazing gym (unlikely at anything but top level) it is going to be very hard to get good shots. A f2.8 lens is just not going to be bright enough unless you are lucky with the light. I would suggest going for ISO 3200, f2.8 and 1/250th and see if enough light is let in for a good exposure (use manual exposure btw). I doubt you are going to be able to get a shutter speed any faster than that and I would not be tempted to try unless you are sure you are getting a good exposure (the face is what you want to be exposed well). I would personally go for the 70-200mm lensunless you are under the rim.

Let us see what you get and good luck!!

Edit - forgot to say you really don't need a monopod even with the longer lens unless you were right back in the stands and your hands are not overly steady.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote