Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:16 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Hi Steven,

Yep it's been a bit quietly here recently LOL. Also shouldn't that be Football (Soccer for the US) :blah:?!

Is it my imagination or were the series shot outside of the stadium in really bad light as it looks like you are struggling to freeze the action and that noise was up a bit? Also I would say that they are over exposed where as the ones in the stadium look spot on.

In the stadium number 5 of Dave MacKay is probably the weakest and it seems here that you have shot near infinity (they play is too far away) which has reduced sharpness as focusing is harder for the camera. I like number 4 as it is sharp and is also good action. On the action front number 10 is good although he does look a bit scared!!

Nice work.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:57 AM   #12

1 & 3 are great captures.

The outdoor shots all appear to have focus issues as well as a bit flat - but 1 & 3 were outstanding captures - good framing, good sharpness and good timing.

Good to see work from you again!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 1:58 PM   #13

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steven,

Yep it's been a bit quietly here recently LOL. Also shouldn't that be Football (Soccer for the US) :blah:?!

Is it my imagination or were the series shot outside of the stadium in really bad light as it looks like you are struggling to freeze the action and that noise was up a bit? Also I would say that they are over exposed where as the ones in the stadium look spot on.

Nice work.

Mark
Cheers Mark, and John for the comments, especially the ones from the stadium. I've worked for quite a while trying to get the right balance for focus and exposure. I'm finding that ISO 1600, sat under a corner for best light (4 corner floodlight sets) and f3.5 gives best results. You can see that the shot of MacKay is taken into the corner, and not into the field, so is not the best. The action is decent though, that's why I like it.

The shots outside the stadium were in unbelievably bad daylight. Overcast to hell. I'm not going to make excuses though, I'd set the ISO too high, and brought the lens to to 2.8 and as a result, I got quite a washed out look so when putting colour in, it brought out the noise. Quite poor.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:12 PM   #14

Great shots. 1 and 3 are my fave's. What lens do you use?

Thanks
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:25 PM   #15

Just to add one or two of mine in :G

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote