Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:27 PM   #11

futbol mom wrote:
Quote:
Whew...I'm done! That taxed my brian! I'm gonna go have a glass of wine. Look forward to your comments.

FB Mom
LOL!

That # 9plays witha lot of heart!
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:56 PM   #12

I think the shots are very good. The thing that immediately pops into my head is that you were on the shady side of all the players. Generally speaking, you want the sun at your back. If you were on the other side of the field, the players wouldn't be so dark.

I have no suggestions about the nausea thing though. Do you keep both eyes open?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:27 PM   #13

Thanks Shutter Bug, that's my son. He's a pretty amazing player, I only wish my photos could do him justice.

TCav...I realize I was on the wrong side of the field, but the parents were mean on the other side. I was there for a VERY short while,but they kicked me off. Never quite realized how "die hard" parents could be. We are always..."everything good, lets have some fun"...but not these people....Whew! As for my eyes, I think I close my right eye...or attempt to anyway:-).
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:19 AM   #14

Hey - congratulations! Considering you had your first DSLR for all of 2 days I think you did great!!!

I had to chuckle reading your post - it's not as easy as you thought it was, huh?

It's a lot easier to follow what's going on when you don't have a camera plastered to your face, isn't it? You really learn how much you take your eyes' natural wide angle field of view for granted. One method recommended is to keep both eyes open - use the eye outside the viewfinder to follow the action. THAT takes some serious getting used to but in the end yields the best results. A second approach is to follow the action zoomed out a bit, then zoom in when you want to take your shot. But, what you really have to get used to doing is to transition from following the ball to swinging your camera to the PLAYER the ball is going to. On a throw in for instance, without the camera on your face pick the player most likely to receive and track them - not the ball. Fire when the ball enters your frame. Same thing with a pass - once you see where the ball is headed, switch to the receiving player and wait for the ball to enter the frame. But, and this is key - in BOTH instances, when you acquire the player, press the shutter button HALF WAY - this will cause the camera to focus on the player and start the servo focusing. Then press it the rest of the way to start taking your shots. Don't wait until you want to actually take a picture to press the shutter at all - if you do this you'll likely get out of focus shots or just be too late taking the picture.

Your timing will get better as you practice, don't worry about that.

Now that you're past the first weekend, we're going to get you out of sports mode (it was giving you apertures of f11 - terrible for sports !!!).

The next step in your evolution as a sports shooter is to use aperture priority (AV) mode. Here's how to do it for sports shooting (the manual will tell you how to do all these settings):

1. Set the camera to AV mode

2. Set the ISO to 200

3. Set the aperture to 5.6

4. Set shooting mode to continuous shot

5. Set focus mode to AI-Servo

6. Set esposure mode to partial

7. Select all focus points

Take some test shots during warm-ups. Look at shutter speeds. If they are less than 1/500 then change ISO to 400. If still less than 1/500 keep changing the ISO until you are getting 1/500 or better.

That is your next evolution as a sports shooter.

Now, my next question - did you edit these photos at all?

Here's the thing - 99.9% of all sports photos can be improved with proper editing. In most cases they can be improved DRAMATICALLY. What photo editing software package do you have? Did the camera come with Photoshop Elements or did canon stop including it?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:02 AM   #15

OK, I'm a wimp! I woke up this morning with sore shoulders! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT! I'm an active mom. I don't really consider myself a slouch by any means...I play soccer. I do karate...I would read through these forums and read about people complaininghow heave their lenses were and they wanted a lighter lens. In my mind, I was really giving these people a hard time...boy, am I eating crow!:lol:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"...back to software...The camera came with Digital Photo Professional???I don't know anything about it. I also have something called Arc Soft PhotoImpressions 5...and..Adobe Photo Delux Home Edition 4.0. I haven't used any of these. Is one better than the other?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Well, time to hit the gym and work on my shoulders...I have a camera and heavy lens to lift.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"FB Mom
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:32 AM   #16

futbol mom wrote:
Quote:
OK, I'm a wimp! I woke up this morning with sore shoulders! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!
:G

Sure you're active but not used to that particular activity. Heck I lift weights regularly, excercise (spent 8 years in martial arts) and always scoffed at people complaining about carrying their kids - what's the big deal carrying a 18 pound kid? Now I have one - after a few minutes of carrying him, my back aches :G

For some reason, squats, bench press, arm curls etc just arenn't the same as holding a 17 lb child

Well the arcsoft stuff probably won't work and the Adobe software you have is about 5 years old i think - I believe they stopped making it years ago. DPP is Canon's editing software - I don't use it so I can't say what it's capable of. So, let's talk about the TYPES of editing just about every shot can benefit from:
  • Cropping - a good sports shot is tigt on the action. When you get more experienced you'll shoot tight on the action to begin with. For now, keep shooting wider and crop the image down. Here's an example of what I mean:
[/*]

• Sharpening - see if DPP has a function called Unsharp Mask (USM). Sounds strane, I know - but you want to use this feature over generic 'sharpen' features the software might have. Let me know if it does and I'll give you some values to try when using it. This will make a HUGE difference in making your subject pop out.[/*]
  • Levels / Curves adjustment. What this basically means is making your brights brighter, darks darker and your midtones lighter (usually). Notice in your shots how dark the players are? Well you can correct this with the software (eventually you'll get to a point where you can prevent some of it in-camera but that's a few steps down the road).[/*]
  • Dodging - one of my favorite tools - basically you take a brush and this function allows you to lighten the area of the photo the brush is on - so you 'paint' lightness - it's a great technique to use on faces - you basically end up using the levels/curves adjustements to get everything else looking good and then use dodging to lighten the fact a bit more.
[/*]
Of course there are a myriad of other things you can do. But 99.9% of my photos will go through cropping, levels adjustment and sharpening.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:24 AM   #17

futbol mom wrote:
Quote:
As for my eyes, I think I close my right eye...or attempt to anyway:-).
I have the same problem. My left eye is dominant, and the vision in my right eye is pretty bad. When I shoot, my left eye is at the viewfinder and my right eye is at the back of the camera (see my avatar.) Keeping both eyes open, as recommended by JohnG, will help with the nausea. If your vision is reasonable with both eyes, try shooting with your right eye at the viewfinder, adjusting the diopter as necessary, while keeping your left eye open. Use your left eye to follow the action, and use your right eye to operate the camera. Hold your camera with your right hand andplace your left hand under the lens (unlike my avatar, but as you might see in Mark1616's avatar.) This will give your left eye an unobstructed view.

For some people, this can be a tough skill to master, but after some practice you should see the benifits of this technique.

I've tried it and would like to use it, but the vision in my right eye isn't good enough, and it made me dizzy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:50 PM   #18

John G. - Wait until you have three of those 17 plus pounders all wanting you to hold them...that was actually the only time my upper body was in shape. I will take anyone on in leg strength, but the upper body, I will lose every time. I have only been in karate a year and a half. Push-ups have been a night mare for me. I think I can finally do 15regular push-ups, and seriously...I hate every single one of them! I'm a runner, so I like leg workouts.

OK, back to camera stuff...DPP does not have an un-sharp mask option. It's just a generic sharpening mode. If I'm going to do this, I might as well go all the way. What software do you recommend? I'm not really someone who wants to spend a lot of time artistically changing my photos, but I would like some of the features you were talking about. If you could point me in a direction, that would be great. I was hoping to practice taking pictures with the new info you have me, but we are expecting rain for the next several days. I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance. Thanks again by the way!

TCav - I never thought of trying to use the other eye! What a concept, thank you! I really thank you if I don't have to take Dramamine at the next tournament:lol:.

FB Mom
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:15 PM   #19

Photoshop Elements - it's $100 or less and there are a lot of books on it and a lot of people who use it which means you can get a lot of help with it. Canon used to include it with their DLSRs but of course why give you something you can actually use?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:37 PM   #20

Just a quick example of how photos can be improved. Tough to do much with such small image files, but I spent about 1 minute on each photo:

old:

new...

Old...

New...