Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:00 PM   #21

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Photoshop Elements - it's $100 or less and there are a lot of books on it and a lot of people who use it which means you can get a lot of help with it. Canon used to include it with their DLSRs but of course why give you something you can actually use?
Hi,

If you live in the US and have a Costco membership you can get the program (PS Elements 5.0)for $59.99 + shipping and handling when ordering online between 1/8 and 1/28. I just ordered mine and it came to $70 total.
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:02 PM   #22

WOW! What a difference. I was looking at some other software that I got with my Fuji I think...or even my A610...it is Zoombrowser EX??? It had the USM you were talking about. I was trying to monkey around with a photo, and couldn't really get it to work...I don't understand the numbers that it keeps putting out..also the radius and threshold??? I'll keep goofing around with it and see what I can do. I'm going to have to wait a bit on the $100 software...just bought a new lens...yikes, it's happening already...
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:19 PM   #23

afayec...I'll call Costco tomorrw and see if they have it in the store.I might be able to hide$59.99in the grocery budget...OH my god...I'm turning into a photograpy junkie:lol:.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:13 PM   #24

This has the making of a great thread.The ABC's of shooting sports.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 5:08 PM   #25

"Resizer" is a great free program that will resize batches of the orginal. Saves having to do them one at a time.

http://www.virtualzone.de/files/?product=resizer
Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:06 PM   #26

That's cool, John G!

I like the before and after images.

Another tip for football mom is position yourself so your back is to the sun (not your son).

So when you take that awesome photo of your son scoring a goal, he will be well lit from the front (sun coming over your shoulder), and not all shadowy and backlit (sun in your eyes - yuck!).
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:20 PM   #27

Thanks Terry. I realize that I should have been on the other side, but the parents were pretty mean over there. I took a few shot from that side, but they really didn't turn out. Mostly sky and grass:-). We have another tournament next weekend...I have been practicing (at the practices) and I'm not getting as nauseous now ( I can even hold the camera up longer without my shoulders hurting!!). I haven't quite mastered using both eyes yet, but it's getting easier. Keep your fingers crossed that some of the shots turn out!

FB Mom
Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:10 PM   #28

JohnG...quick question. I'm actually in between games right now so I don't have time to download pictures, but I have followed your instructions for using AV mode. My problem is that the shutter speed on most of the pictures is up around 1/2000 to about 1/3500. Why is that. I'm shooting with the sun to my back. Some of the photos are coming out 1/1200 and they are looking fine. I'm not changing my position at all??? I don't get it. Any quick tips?? Thanks.

FB Mom
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:16 PM   #29
Super Moderator

futbol mom wrote:
Quote:
JohnG...quick question. I'm actually in between games right now so I don't have time to download pictures, but I have followed your instructions for using AV mode. My problem is that the shutter speed on most of the pictures is up around 1/2000 to about 1/3500. Why is that. I'm shooting with the sun to my back. Some of the photos are coming out 1/1200 and they are looking fine. I'm not changing my position at all??? I don't get it. Any quick tips?? Thanks.

FB Mom
FM Mom, looks like John is out enjoying himself so I will answer that for you. If you are shooting in AV then the camera is going to meter on whatever the subject you are shooting. I'm guessing that probably one team is in a light kit and the other is in a dark one. The light team will give you a high shutter speed as it thinks everything just got a whole lot brighter and with the dark kit it thinks the sun went in or something similar so reduces the shutter speed to compensate. That is the down side of Av but with changeable conditions it is still favorable if not the best is to use manual and set an exposure for the skin tones.

Also if you are getting really high shutter speeds you can reduce the ISO a little as well as you don't need anything over 1/800th (nothing really to worry about but means you will get a less noisy shot).

Hope you get this before the next game.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote