Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 12, 2007, 8:30 AM   #1

I will be photographing girls basketball this evening using a Canon 10 D, 24-70 f 2.8 and 70-200 f 2.8. I also have a 17-40 f 4.0 and a 550EX flash. I"m having a hard time getting good sharp photos. What settings do I put the camera on? I use a monopod because it is difficult to hand hold for long with my cerebal palsy that affects my left arm and leg. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,

Jerry
TXPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 6:36 AM   #2

Dependant on the light, you will struggle with 2.8 in gyms without flash.

I'd be pushing the ISO right up to at least 1600 and then going as low as you can with the shutter speed. Remember that noise can be cleaned up and images sharpened later on, but get the exposure right.

If you are allowed to use flash (alot of palces will say no), I'd take the 24-70 and get under the basket if possible. Play with some settings during the warm up (if possible). Remember to use the lens within it's constraints.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:10 PM   #3

I have used the 70-200 2.8 with a 580 EX Flash and gotten great results.Shoot at 800 or 1600 ISO depending on the lighting and I have used 160 to 200 on the shutter speed. You may get a little blur on the ball but the rest of the action is good. Just be considerate with your flash and watch the angles you use it at and you probably won't have any trouble. If you are facing the basket go to the left side and that will put you facing the right handed players, You can even stand a row or two up depending on how crowded the gym is. Move around and you will learn more about position and you won't be a distraction to the same people in the gym the whole game.

Happy shooting!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote