Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:56 AM   #1

Couple shots here with 70-200 F2.8, SB-800 Flash, Auto WB. Still get some yellowing as gym lights cycled - cleaned up some in PS. Amazing how the ref likes the same view as me! :G
Attached Images

dc7thchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:57 AM   #2

#2: Normally I don't keep "butt" shots, but I liked the way his face was captured.
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:35 AM   #3

Exposure looks good. And you have a nice, low angle. I guess my biggest suggestion on these is framing. In the second shot focus is drawn towards a but - usually not a good thing :-)

In the first shot I think the shot would work better if it were framed/cropped to bring more attention to the facial expression of the wrestler on the mat. The wrestling photos that seem to jump out at me the most are the ones whre you see the reaction on the faces - and contortion of a body part in a particular hold. It's usually that hold and the reaction of the wrestler that are the most interesting aspects.

But, that's just my opinion as a viewer (on the second one, I think a but being a big portion of a photo is probably not desirable in any sport shot)- I haven't shot wrestling yet so I'm commenting solely as a viewer of other wrestling photos.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4

Thanks, John, for the input. You're right about the framing in #1. It's a problem with shooting flash/single exposure: you think it's just right and they twist away.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Super Moderator

With the D2H and the SB-800 are you not able to take multiple shots (at least 2 or 3) with flash? As you are at f2.8 and not a huge distance away I would have thought it possible (you might need to up the ISO to help). Would think it worth a try at least as I have used this technique quite a few times for shooting parties/business events.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:47 PM   #6

You're right, Mark! I've done that with basketball before I got the 85 f1.8 - but didn't think about it for wrestling. Sometimes the brain stops working. :?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:48 PM   #7
Super Moderator

LOL...... tell me about it, I often get back from a shoot and then go "why didn't I do/think that!!!"

At leas you will be able have a go next time and see what you get.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote