Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:31 PM   #1

My second shoot with my camera and I tried my son's basketball game. These kids are kindergarten age and I don't know of much better free entertainment than what I experienced this morning! Dribble a litttle while and run with the ball for a little while!

I shot in manual mode, ISO 1600, 1/400 and at 2.0 to 2.2. The exposure readings looked good while I was shooting but the Histograms (sp?) were mostly slightly to the left after I reviewed them. I played, and I do mean played, with some PP with these a little so let me know what you guys think.

Chris
Attached Images

PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:35 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:38 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:39 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2007, 7:53 PM   #5

Chris,

You're a natural!!!

I love the 3rd shot - the faces are priceless.

For your first times out you're doing AWESOME!

I think your next step is some post processing playing. You may want to consider investing in Adobe Photoshop Elements - a great package for less than $100. The other bonus is there are a lot of books on it and a TON of photogs who use the different versions of Photosoft.

In general the two things that will make these terrific images even better is tightening up the histogram a bit (bring in both light and dark) and a little different USM.

If you have an unedited version of a photo try these settings:

80%, 7.0 radius, 0 threshold

It's a pretty good generic setting for sports shots from a Canon DSLR.

But if you've already done USM on a photo the above might be too much.

Again, really great job. Next time out, work on timing to catch the release of the ball - so you still have the ball in the frame .

Congratulations - you're well on your way to being a bona fide sports shooter!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Chrisgreat work and John is right you are doing really well for someone so new to shooting sports. You have good skill to be able to frame well and also good timing.

As you were just asking in my hockey post how I got some of the 'pop' I hope you don't mind but I have done a quick edit on your first pic. I have increased the saturation a little, increasedbrightness and contrast and then applied unsharp mask (took 30 seconds in total). It is not perfect as there is now a little noise in the shot but if you were to edit before reducing in size it would bea lot better.

Keep up the good work!!

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:16 PM   #7

Thanks guys for your very kind words and encouragement. I'm sure having alot of fun doing it even though I took many that didn't look that good. I'm beginning to understand why people can get "hooked" on this!

Mark, I certainly don't mind you editing the photo, in fact where I'm at right now is I can tell your photos look much better, but I don't know how to achieve that with PP yet. The desire to learn is getting strong though.

I bought a book that has much to say about PP and I started reading it last night. I will look into the software you mentioned John and hopefully I can learn by reading and just playing with it.

John, you wrote, "In general the two things that will make these terrific images even better is tightening up the histogram a bit (bring in both light and dark) and a little different USM."

I honestly don't have a clue how to "tighten up the histogram..." I think I understand what you are getting at, I just don't know how to apply it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, thanks for the settings recommendations, I do have an unedited version I will try those on it for sure as I was playing up and down the scale with different values.

Much to learn, much to learn...until then I'll look forward to the next basketball game!

Chris

Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:26 PM   #8

PhotoDad wrote:
Quote:
John, you wrote, "In general the two things that will make these terrific images even better is tightening up the histogram a bit (bring in both light and dark) and a little different USM."

I honestly don't have a clue how to "tighten up the histogram..." I think I understand what you are getting at, I just don't know how to apply it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Chris, what I mean by it is this:

On many photo editing software, when you choose to edit 'Levels' you'll be shown a histogram with 3 sliders - a dark, light and mid tone. What I mean is - bring the dark slider in until blacks are black and bring your light slider in until your brights are to your liking (you then slide your midtone slider to get the desired result there).

Typically, a histogram will often look like a peak with trailing edges to the left and right - when you bring the bright and dark sliders in you'll see more contrast and your colors will start to pop a little more.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:22 PM   #9

Those are great shots. I like them all keep it up. The guys are right about the post processing, give it a try and experiment. You'll have fun. I will tell you one thing, from that age until about 5th grade the kids are really fun to watch (and take photos of).
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:34 AM   #10

Thanks k1par for the comment...and John thanks, now I know that you can actuallyMOVE those 3 triangles! Learning can be so difficult for adults...my kids probably would have discovered that within 10 minutes.

Chris