Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:47 AM   #1

as always, C&C welcome:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:56 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice series John. I find these much more 'exciting' than the vault. I like the first one best but looks a little soft (or is the just too little USM?).

I would love to give Gymnastics a go. Which lens was the choice for the day?

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:09 AM   #3

Thanks Mark.

Yeah the first is a bit soft - really I cropped too tightly. But I like the shot because it's more interesting than some of my sharper photos.

I used the 85mm 1.8 - the nice thing about HS gymnastics is I can get fairly close as opposed to club gymnastics where there are usually chairs for spectators instead of stands and its's frowned upon if I get in front of the spectators. This is in a basketball gymnasium so there are stands and plenty of space between stands and the aperatus for me to set up.

Forgot one thing - I also was able to use all focus points which I think helped greatly. Having a subject in isolation is a rare thing in sports. And with twists and turns and so forth it's tough to keep a focus point on an area of contrast - I got about a 70% keeper rate vs. 40% from when I shoot basketball.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:14 AM   #4
Super Moderator

That's cool. It really does make a difference getting that close and the results are lovely.

How did you get involved in shooting Gym, it's another area I would like to have a go at (the list is getting longer).

Did you shoot any other apparatus in the rotation?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:21 AM   #5

My vote goes for #4! Even though she's looking at the bar and not into the camera, it's a neat shot for me. If we could just remove the support poles sometimes, it would be great.

Was the bars the only event where you used all focus points? I have been wondering if it would work on the beam routines.

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:32 AM   #6

Thanks guys.

I shot all 4 events but have only processed vault and bars so far. Beam is next - I'll do those tonight. Floor is last and that is going to be painful - it was in an add-on section of the gym with horrible lighting - they'll take a good amount of work.

Chris - I used all points on every event. I was taking practice shots of another team on vault with single point and not liking results so I switched to all points and things got MUCH better. Again, I think it can get too difficult to keep a single point on an area of contrast so I BELIEVE with single point things get screwed up when the point slides off the subject briefly or slides onto the leo. All points worked very well on beam routine. The only problem on beam and bars is with dismounts - because it's so fast and the body won't fit in the focus plane the focus may be on the wrong part of the body so a leg may end up in focus but not the face - I can't imagine how to deal with that - I don't see a way to keep a single focus point on a face during a flip. I could choose to shoot from the side like I would on tumbling passes on the floor but then the normal routine would suffer. If I were shooting these girls multiple times I would shoot 3 different angles - once from each end of the beam and once from the side. Of course, the challenge with high school (and higher levels of club) is the routines are all different and can even change from meet to meet. That is one bonus to shooting level 4 gymnasts - everyone does the exact same thing. But for me, the variety here was much more interesting.

This was high school gymnastics not club so there is no level designation. With the older girls, it's much easier to tell them apart - 7 year olds all look alike but by 16-18 they look different enough to be able to tell.