Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1

More basketball for the kids and more practice for the photographer! I'm beginning to believe that PP is more art than science...and I'm low on the former and heavy on the latter. Hopefully it gets easier as well. Please provide C&C as you see fit.

The timing worked out for once in this one.

Chris
Attached Images

PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2

#2 I know the ball is already out of the frame, but the picture seemed pretty sharp.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3

#3 Inbounds passes aren't that hard.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4

#4 All were shot with a 135mm at 2.0 and shutter speeds of 1/320 and 1/400 in manual mode. I did levels, USM, and some noise reduction on each.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2007, 5:51 PM   #5

Good shots but (and of course there is a but), try not to cut the feet off unless you have too. My guess is you putting your center focus spot on the head or near there. Try putting it in the wasteline and see what happens.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:27 PM   #6

Thanks k1par for the reply and I had not even noticed that I had cut the feet off! I also went back and looked at the others I took and all too often I was doing exactly as you surmised. I was so intent on trying to focus on the faces and desperately trying to get the ball in the frame that the bottom of thepicture was overlooked.

The 135mm is awfully tight for basketball and I will be getting the 85mm next, however, I really do like how it fills the frame when you do get it right.

Chris
Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:33 PM   #7

I think you will like the 85mm, you can always crop the your photo. I use a 50mm for all my basketball shots but there are times the 85mm would be handy. It took me quite a while to get used to putting the center focus spot on the wasteline so as to not cut the feet off. Now I want a truthful answer, how many shots have you missed whilewatching these guys play because your a chuckling at something that happened and realized after the action was over you should have taken the pic (been there done that,,awful easy to do with kids that age).:lol:
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:49 PM   #8

k1par,

To answer your question....a bunch of times! One of the litttle girls on one of the teams was really excited about her first game last week, but just prior to leaving the house that morning her mother found her looking very sullen sitting on her bed. She said, "Macy what's wrong, I thought you were all excited about your game?" Macy looked at her mom as only kids can and said, "But Mom, I just thought of something...I don't know how to play basketball." Her mother grinned and stated, "Neither do any of the other kids." Macy's smile returned and off she went to play her first game! I have some great T-ball stories too, but I'll save them for another time.

I think it would be easier to focus on the photography if it were older kids and not your own! I figure if I can get some good shots of the kids throughout the seasonthen I cangive the parents some in-action photos at the end of the season...my treat.

Your observation about the feet certainly gives me another thing to think about next Saturday...when I'm not busy chuckling!

Chris