Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:09 AM   #11

Wow! very good job, there are some really interesting shots. If I had to pick a favorite and that is a tough job I would have to pick the 5th shot.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:24 AM   #12

Spy - love 5(the reflection is way cool) and 6.

It's a shame the background is such that there is no real way to capture the sense of speed by panning (i mean smooth ice looks like smooth ice :G).

Really well done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:34 PM   #13

Wow! What kind of shutter speed did you have to you to freeze that kind of action? The photos are first rate if you ask me and it is not the typical sports shot that you see every day. Glad you posted these up.

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:34 PM   #14
spy

Thank you everyone for the comments! I liked posting these as it is very different from what is quite regular.

Mark, I didn't meter off anything I just shot in AV mode, Auto WB, AI Servoand set the exposure level to compensate for all the light glareoff the ice. I never knew that they never race or train during the day as the track is shaded from the sun by huge blinds that cover the track. The lighting at nightwould be the same as you would see lighting up an outside football stadium.

I was not permitted to use flash as this would blind the 'pilot' so my shutter ranged from around 1/400 at f4.I especially enjoyed the AI Servo mode as this focus feature kept the sledtracked and in focus at approaching speeds of 120km all the while bursting!!

I'm heading upto the track again this week to try some slow shutter motion shots to see how they turn out.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:42 PM   #15

Just a stunning set of photos! I really enjoyed seeing each of them. It must be exciting to see such a fast sport up close. Great camera work! The images are tack sharpe! I have the2.8lens and just love it. It is worth every penny! I can tell quickly when another lens goes on the camera.

Thanks doe sharing your photos!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote