Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:58 PM   #1

Hi all,

My son has been playing soccer for 10 years now, but I only started recently taking pictures during the last year. Now that he is in High School they only play at night and it is so much harder to get decent shots.

Here is a few of the better ones.

satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:26 AM   #2

The first shot looks pretty good. Exposure on the 1st two looks good but a little under on the third shot (due to the shadows from his head). But these are all framed a bit too loose IMO. Try to frame tighter in-camera (wait for the action to get closer to you) and then crop down even tighter. Right now the framing is too loose to see any detial.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Satire and welcome to Steves Forums!!!

Good to see that you have posted straight away with some photos as it is always great to see what people are shooting.

What camera/lens are you shooting with as it looks like you have a good shutter speed and like John mentioned the exposure is good on the first two so would guess you have a 2.8 lens (or it is very a well lit pitch).

Getting the best shots is always a waiting game andthe first one isgood timing wisebut just a shame that the action is not closer to you.I only shoot witha 70-200mm f2.8 lens,sometimes with a 1.4x teleconverter so for football I would not be looking at getting a well framed well focused shot at anything that is further than half a pitch width away and realistically1/3 width if I want real quality.

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:27 AM   #4

I was shooting in manual mode with my Olympus E-500, 1/500 f2.0 1600 iso.

Bad habit of mine not framing tighter on shots, but its easier to follow the action, and I am limited on focal length. I use a 35-100mm f2.0 (70-200 35mm eq) lens, its to short for outdoor but great for indoor sports.

This is my first year shooting sports or anything else, so I am always learning and hopefully getting a little better each time.

satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
I use a 35-100mm f2.0 (70-200 35mm eq) lens, its to short for outdoor but great for indoor sports.

Man do I wish Canon made one of those lenses. Every canon sports shooter would eat it up.

I understand what you're saying about framing tight - it has to be a natural progression. When you feel more comfortable, frame tighter and you'll really see a huge difference - especially in low light. But, it's like learning to swim - you gotta do it in steps.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote