Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:00 AM   #1

Glasgow Celtic played Livingston today in the Scottish cup. With a division / seventeen places between the two teams, it's no surprise that the hoops ran out 4-1 winners despite Livi going 1-0 up.

Seemed to be sat at the wrong end each half for the good shots as we scored in the first half while I was up the celtic end, and then celtic scored three times when I was at the other end. Very overcast and poor lighting. Still, here goes!

LiviLion was up for it!

As was the crowd

McPake watches Vennegoor of Hesselink

Mitchell Dictates the defense at a corner

Riordan in a celtic shirt!

Vennegoor of Hesselink jumps highest to head into the path of O'dea for the first celtic goal

Nakamura, who was excellent, goes down in the box

Celtic captain Neil Lennon

Riordan scores for celtic

then celebrates with captain Lennon, Telfer and debut bhoy Hartley

Dorrans tries to make an impact
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:09 PM   #2

I actually prefer overcast days; there are no harsh shadows, so the lighting is pretty uniform which ever direction you look.

A number of your shots didn't make it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:29 AM   #3

Is there a bug on this forum or something because that code works on every other forum I've posted on.

I agree sort of with what you are saying. I should have not said overcast, I should have said "Cloudy as hell with the sort of clouds that you see in horror movies".
Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Dude you are really improving...... some of these are fantastic with the header shot being my fave I think.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5

Excellent captures of the beautiful game.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:50 PM   #6

I think these are fantastic, #3 being my fav...I love the way the ball is going to be controlled by hitting the chest area before it drops to his feet and maybe volley to another player...This shot says alot about whats going on and thats what Photography is about...Telling a story...Great Job!!

Andrew
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:08 PM   #7

great shots! I tried to get some decent pics from a childrens soccer game today, ok sun was already gone and f/6.5 on ISO1600+ didn't helped for faster shutter speed, but my main problem was the AF.

It was on AF-C (continuous) and Area (no spot). Most of the pics had wrong focus or focus not on subject. Narf.

How do you shoot? AF-C or AF-S (click vs. focus priority) and area vs. spot focus?
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:03 AM   #8

I use Nikon DSLR's. They don't have "spot" focus. I use AF-C, The central focus point and "Dynamic Area". I do sometimes turn of dynamic area.

I generally find that with it on, I get more in focus shots as the camera decides what's moving and changes focus points.

ISO 1600 and f6.5 seems a little extreme.

1. What lens are you using? Assuming you are using it wide open, generally, lenses with such a low aperture are quite long lenses (200-500).

2. When using ISO 1600 on the D50, I have to stop down the lens in order to make the images pop as, due to the noise, it tends to soften the image. This is why I LOVE the D80. It's noise control is awsome.

Got any examples?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:24 AM   #9

as for light - we talk about 5pm+ with sun already gone, outside in the shadows of a small hill with bushes on it... so I consider the light POOR for these kind of photography.

AF-C, yes - and "spot" translates into "central focus" I guess - so I'll try that next time

Lens... well - I have a 28-210mm f/4-6.5 here, kit lens 18-55mm doesn't have enough range. Shots were at 150..200mm mostly and I know that this is NOT the best photo equipment on earth...

ISO1600 is ok here if histogram is good, ISO3200 - well that really depends. I just love to compose while shooting rather than cropping a lot and am new to shooting sports action. I noticed motion blur which is normal at 1/100..1/150s or so but I got a lot of out-of-focus shots as well - some might have been due to slow camera AF in AF-C mode (long tele end, bad light, cheap lens... bad combo, I know) but also wrong focus - that's why I asked about spot vs. area focus.

As for examples have to ask the people if publishing was allowed.

I'll try spot AF next time and a fixed ISO800/1600 setting. What shutter speed would you consider? 1/250s enough? Considering they are kids and not THAT fast... Will try that and crank up to 1/500s if still blurred.

/wave

StevenC wrote:
Quote:
I use Nikon DSLR's. They don't have "spot" focus. I use AF-C, The central focus point and "Dynamic Area". I do sometimes turn of dynamic area.

I generally find that with it on, I get more in focus shots as the camera decides what's moving and changes focus points.

ISO 1600 and f6.5 seems a little extreme.

1. What lens are you using? Assuming you are using it wide open, generally, lenses with such a low aperture are quite long lenses (200-500).

2. When using ISO 1600 on the D50, I have to stop down the lens in order to make the images pop as, due to the noise, it tends to soften the image. This is why I LOVE the D80. It's noise control is awsome.

Got any examples?
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:29 PM   #10

I have quite a steady hand and 1/320 is the lowest I go. Any lower and it starts to blur...unless panning.