Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:56 AM   #1

These were shot with a Canon 20D with 85mm at 400. f2.2. 3200 ISO.
My question is which 50mm lens would be better for sports the 1.8 or 1.4.
Will you really be able to tell the difference between the two. With the 85mm you need to be at least 5-10 feet off the sidelines. I miss being under the basket. Also how will the quality of the pic dif from the 85 vs 50.

nothing done to pics except size reduction.
stoltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:24 AM   #2

Stoltzy - looks like the focus is off in all these. I'm guessing from the framing it's because you're so far away. To be honest when shooting basketball / volleyball with the 85 I find that 20 feet is about the max distance. At the distances these shots were taken at (judging by subject size in the frame), I've had similar soft results. I find I need to be around 10-15 feet (which means few full-body shots).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"To answer your question though - the 50mm 1.4 is faster to focus and sharper than the 1.8 but you're paying for that (and especially for the extra aperture).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I agree with John, you are a long way out and this means you will be getting close to infinity on the lens which is where it is going to struggle to get a spot on focus. I don't have this lens but it is a common problem when trying to shoot further out. The 50mm will let you get under the basket but again your range is going to be limited (this time even more) so from the corners use the 85 and under the net the 50, but don't expect to reach the halfway line!

Happy shooting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote