Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:36 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi guys, due to my 70-200mm f2.8 being poorly (very soft at 200mm) I had to use the Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L instead. I didn't think this was going to do all that well as the dof could be too deep so knew I was going to have to frame very tight to get the most out of it. Fortunately the sun was out so I was able to easily get a good shutter speed.

I don't think it did too badly and I must admit it was great to have 400mm to play with as I got shots I have never been able to consider before.

All taken with Canon 30D btw.

4 Not the best shot in the world but I like the way they are all in step with each other.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:17 AM   #2

Good stuff Mark. I especially like 2 & 3. I just like how low to the ground he is and more importantly the fact that you were just as low.

Nice job!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks John. Rather than kneeling/crouching like normal I decided (after watching some international matches on TV and seeing what the pro photogs were going) to sit down to get even lower. I do like the results from this as the hockey action takes place lower than say football etc.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:19 AM   #4

Great shots, I like the fact you were able to catch them in action. I myself have tried photographing hockey and it's very hard due to the speed that it is played at and find that I never have enough zoom. (but the P880 is not really a action camera)

Congrats on the shots they are really good.
eicats14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks for your kind words.... I've had a little practise at shooting hockey which helps, you can find more at www.photographysmith.co.uk (about 3000 I think).

You are right the 140mm (35mm equivalent) reach of the P880 is going to be limiting. In this shoot I had the equivalent of 640mm which made life quite easy, also I was shooting at 5fps so there is a better chance of getting the right shot.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:04 PM   #6

Yes it is a little bit hard to get close enough to the action, but with a little bit of post processing i manage to get some shots out,

Here are some of my attempts at Norh division 2 west

Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:57 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Can you check those links out as only one seems to be working?
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:49 AM   #8

I have re-posted the links

her are some more also

IMG]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w271/eicats14/Various%20Hockey%20photos/NeilGarlicCupgame.jpg[/IMG]

Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:42 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Considering the limitations of the camera you have done well. There are a couple of ways that you can improve the shots without needing to change your equipment, firstly try to get lower that the standing position (check out mine above where I was sitting on the ground - you don't have to get this low but it helps) and in PP straighten the shots so that they are not distracting. It looks as if focus is off on a couple of these, what focus mode did you use (not sure what options you have), do you have different focus points you can select or not with?

Lastlyhowmuchediting have you done as the colours look over processed?