Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:02 AM   #1

I have been lurking on this website and many others for a long time. Soaking in as much as I can digest. A little over a year ago I started this quest to capture the moments of my 12yr of triplets in the multitude of activities that they are in. I knew I needed more than a P&S camera, so I started researchingJan 06. Blew me away with all the info you have access to here on the web, I thought the Fuji S9000 would give me what I wanted without the hassle of changing lens, dust and so on. Well after a year I needed more and made the jump to DSLR. I have had it for a week and can already tell a huge diff. and it is not as hard as I made it out to be. The s9000 was actually a very good bridge camera between P&S and DSRL. This brings me too the point that I would like to THANK a few people ( you know who you are) on this web site who take the time to answer posts and share info without any regard to profit or personal gain. I have been reading this post for so long I feel like I know some of you personally. THANK YOU! Thank you for taking the time to respond, and thank you for responding time and time again to the same questions that keeping popping up. There is always the next bewildered person out there seeking help. All I can say is those of you that take the timeon a regular basis to respond; you help and you make a difference, keep it up. Just wanted all of you to know how much I appreciate the sacrifice you make. It is appreciated. I really didn't want to single anybody out, but it is hard not to after reading and watching this site and a few others and seeing one person pop up a lot. Thank You John G. Your input has been, priceless. Thanks, my hats off to you and everybody else that makes this site possible.

I uploaded one pic out of the 15 I kept from the250 pics I took at the boys practice in 45 mins. Wow!! The 30D is like a machine gun!! I quickly found out the more you take the more you have to go through afterwords. This is so much fun. This pic is right out of the camera no PP. I have not even begun to explore RAW! Would this picture be that much better if it was shot and processed in RAW format? The lighting is horribleas it isin all public gyms. I could never get that shot with the S9000. That is why I made the move.

I went from the Fuji S9000 to the Canon 30d, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 I hope this will cover my sports. I plan on adding a TC for soccer.

I spent a lot of time and almost went with the K10d, if nothing else the Pentax forum seems to be a lot more active than the Canon, but my ultimate goal is action and therefore I felt Canon is the best in that area.The Pentaxians are awesome and so very passionate about there equipment.If Canon did not have the 5FPS I wanted Imight have gone with the K10. It was not about the pixels it was speed and high ISO performance that I needed. So Here I am, So Here Shall I stay.

Sorry for rambling on. Just after year of lurking and benefiting from this site, I just had to say thanks. I feel like I should owe somebody something for all the info I have received from this site. Steve, who ever you are, a big downhome Kansas,Thank Youfor this site.

Thanks once again to all you who keep this site going! You are a huge help and YOU are Appreciated!

Btrips

Attached Images

btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2

Welcome btrips as a new canonnite and also to the site! I took the same road as you did getting into photography. Kids sporting events...buying a bridge camera...not totally satisfied with the results...move up to dSLR. As you have already noticed, the people here are really helpful and patience. Once again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:36 PM   #3

Btrips,

Welcome to the forums and particularly to the sports forum! Glad we were all able to help you in your quest!!

Not a bad first post! There are a couple of technique suggestions I would make though for your next shoot:

1. Shoot in portrait orientation - players are more vertical than horizontal and it's rare to have more than 2 players of interest in a shot.

2. Shoot from in front of or on the side (this shot is about as far as you want to let the action get past you)- once the action is past you and you can't see the face anymore the shot starts to lose interest. Unfortunately what this means for basketball is you have to flip a coin and set your shooting position. You'll miss 3/4 of the action because it's away from you or other players are in the way.

3. Get lower if you're physically able to. Kneel if you can. Sitting can be OK if there's enough room but many gyms are too cramped and sitting poses a safety hazard.

You've also caught on to the negative side of fast frame rate - the more shots you take the more you have to look at and process. Keep at it and keep having fun.

As for RAW - I'm sorry, I think people put a bit too much stock in it especially for sports shooting. It takes up too much memory and slows down buffer handling. The ONLY time I'll shoot raw is if I know it's a short shoot and the lights are cycling like crazy and changing color temperatures. In 75%-80% of the gyms you're better off shooting manual and setting a custom WB. All raw will do is add steps to your workflow for most sports situations. Feel free to experiment though - don't let me jade you. You may find you like shooting in RAW as others have. That's the great thing about digital you can try different techniques until you find the one you like.

You probably already know this too, but you'll need to learn post processing techniques if you don't already know them and get some good noise reduction software. I use noiseware Pro, but Neatimage and Noise Ninja are also popular.

Again, welcome to the sports forum. Looking forward to seeing alot more of your work!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4

I'm in the same boat; learning to shoot indoors sports. I've included a shot with my new Canon XTI, 85mm F1.8,AV, ISO 800, F2.8, 1/250, no flash. ISO 1600 may have been a better choice, but it is a well lit gym. It seems over-exposed...i did use noise ninja and elements 3. Continuous focus shooting is a real challenge. I've read that the 85mm loses sharp focusing ability beyond roughly 25 feet.True or false...I don't know, I guess I can test it out. I have grandchildren in several different sports. I suppose I'll learn a lot from experience. Good luck. By the way,we have family in Kansas. Bob.
Attached Images

rornberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:11 PM   #5

Photodad,

Thanks. I will not have a shortage of subjects to shoot. Two more weeks of roundball, then it's soccer, track, baseball and softball. I wish I skipped the bridge camera, I thought I could compromise. Lesson learned. Here is a pic from the weekend.

Thanks

btrips

Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:17 PM   #6

John G,

Thanks for the help. I had 4 ball games this weekend and got plenty more practice. I shot mostly with the 85mm 1.8. Right now at this level I can get right down on the court under the basket. I did quickly realize I was too close for the 85mm, so I had to move off to the corners as there were walls behind the goals which kept me too close for the action under the basket. Anyway I did take most of my shots kneeling.

Here is one of my favorites.

Thanks

btrips
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:22 PM   #7

rornberg,

Thanks and good luck to you also. Nice shot. I love shooting sports and my kids give me a lot of opportunites to to do that. Indoor sports is the hardest to figure out and it looks like you are well on your way. Here is one of my sons on defense the other one is in the background to the right. It's funny how very few pics out of all the one's I take center around my boys. They just aren't in the action as much. I do share all the pictures with the other parents.

Thanks

btrips
Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:24 PM   #8

The picture of the kids coming at you is great!!! I really like that one the best of the bunch... Nice shot...

R~
rhett7660 is offline   Reply With Quote