Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:42 PM   #1

Spent 2 1/2 days last weekend shooting swim meets (and all week processing the photos). Here are a few miscellaneous shots. C&C always welcome:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:56 AM   #2

Nice shots John, my preference is #3 but #4 has wonderful symmetry, Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:39 PM   #3

I finally got the first one to show up, they are taking a looong time to come up.

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:48 AM   #4

I'll second Graham...I like #3. Looks like you had plenty of light to work with John, did you shoot in manual?

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:09 PM   #5

Very nice, John. I like #1, #2, and #6. Thanks for sharing.
Allen
ricciardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:35 AM   #6

Terrific shoots! I wish I had the opportunity to go and shoot another meet. When I shot some swimming last year for high school yearbook use I really didn't get in as good a position as I see now. Your shots really show the swimmwer well.The facial expressions on the last two show the huge intake of air!

I also appreciate the time you spend here sharing your experience! It makes the learning curve much faster and shorter for many of us!Thanks for sharing your photos!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:27 AM   #7

Thanks all. I appreciate the kind words.

Trique Daddy - I always strive to get faces in my sports photos (OK not so much in football because of helmets). I primarily sell to either a small local paper or parents - both of which want recognizable athletes. Or just look in sports illustrated or local sports page - 99% of the photos it's very evident who the athlete is in the photo - with the exceptions being things like say down-hill skiing or motorcycle racing where a helmet obscures the face and the uniform may be team and not individually identifying. But I think you get my point. Every shoot I have several very sharp photos that get tossed in the garbage - simply because you can't see the faces (OK, some of the swimming ones are on my website because I was contracted for certain swimmers and you never know what photo a parent is going to buy - but I would not post those photos or supply them to the paper).

That's my take anyway. YMMV.

Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:58 PM   #8
spy

You did very well John on these shots. I like the angle you shoot at and you had good enough light to freeze the action. It's good to see some other swimming shots on here. Your becoming stiff competion:!:Keep it up.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:58 AM   #9

Thanks Spy.

I must admit though - after 2 1/2 days of shooting swimming and a week of processing the photos I think I'm a bit worn-out with the whole swimming thing for now. I think there's something to be said for shooting a basketball game that's over in an hour and a half :Gvs.10 hours Saturday and 10 on Sundayat a swim meet on top of the 2 hours Friday night at aHS meet. So, I'll be spending the next couple weeks going back to the gym. It's less work :blah:
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:39 PM   #10

Swim meets and wrestling tournaments are long days!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote