Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:07 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hmmmm shooting with a prime was more interesting/challenging than I thought. However I'm pretty pleased with the results although the Auto WB on my 30D did a a poor to terrible job of getting the colours right so each one I have had to play around with to try and get it close..... going to have to use custom wb next time.

The exif is still in the shots but for those who don't have Opanda iExif or similar to view the details the settings were ISO 1000, f2 and 1/400th. Edit actaully 1/500th

Please let me know what you think as this is my first real try at Volleyball and the first day outwith the 85mm f1.8 (I got it the day before).

Thanks,

Mark

1 (These are the ladies from my club)

9 (Celebration after the final point was won)

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:19 AM   #2

Nice job Mark. Really like 3 & 4. 1 is great timing but a little too far behind the athlete for my tastes (I know - VERY difficult to get less of an angle - especially when the block is on your side of the court).

And, yes, it does look like the WB is all over the place :-) It's not terrible by any stretch and I notice it more on the walls than the skin tones.

And yes, it does make you wish for your zoom lenses againt

Nice job.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:39 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Don't get me started on the WB issue, but at least most of the skin tones look OK and it's not until you compare a group of shots together than it is really noticeable.

If we could only get rid of the 1st ref then our lives would be much easier as we could get a better angle across the next and also look back more down the court especially in number 4 where she was hitting through position 4 so was only just off the next with the refs stand almost getting in the way and as you already mentioned in number 1 it is a similar problem. I take it you stand behind 1st ref rather than the 2nd ref so you keep out of the way of the scorer.

Do you shoot from a standing or crouched, kneeling position? I was standing at my full 6'6" for these which has helped with the jump shots but not sure it has done any favors with the digs.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:46 AM   #4

I shoot standing mostly - but I will kneel for digs of a serve. You know it's coming (the only question is where and if another player is going to get in your way). Basically, if you want digs, position yourself low and wait for it. Volleyball is tough because you can't follow the action as well as other sports - you're too close. So, pick the type of shot you want (kill, block, dig, set) and position yourself and wait for it. Typically I'll start taking general shots for the first game (for HS here, varsity plays 3 games) and spend the second game going for specific players or types of shots. 3rd game is a toss up again.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:57 AM   #5
Super Moderator

That's great..... I was all in a frenzy just trying to get shots and probably should have concentrated on particular players. I did do this on service receive but kept my left eye open so I could scan the action of the other back court players to see who was calling for it to see if I was going to need to move to get them. This worked pretty well but my keep rate for the website is just under 20% which is low compared to the sports I normally shoot, but you are right it is hard to track where the ball is going to go. I would love to have got some dive pick ups but just wasn'tin positionfor them.

As for the lens I was really impressed in the focus speed even in the low light and found it to be very accurate.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:24 PM   #6

Great job with your shots. Your timing was very good. I have shot High School sports and found volleyball to be the most challenging for the reasons John stated. The action is very quick and the ball jumps out of the frame quickly it seems.I like 1,3,and 8 especially. Your instincts for the action are already good but you will really see things develope as you have more time shooting the same sport.

Thanks for sharing your photos and kep up the great work!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:32 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Hi Trique Daddi thanks for looking and glad you like them. I agree, the first time of shooting a sport is always the most difficult and it gets easier each game. It helped a little (but not a huge amount) that I play volleyball so had a good idea of the plays were going to be.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:46 AM   #8

I think you did a good job here. What puzzles me is how much DOF you got for f/2 !? I thought it would be much(!) narrower!

I took some quick snaps of a soccer game on weekend and found that I am very bad at that... even considering that already dim light (evening, sun was gone already). Upon seing your pics I should really try to shoot wide open (which is f/4 or f/4.5 for my walkaround zoom) - if you get that DOF on f/2 I should be fine with that setting!

WB - that reminds me that I have the chance to get some pics today in the evening and I have to make sure I set WB to indoor or custom too... grrr. I often tend to forget about that and my camera is bad with that in auto mode.

Happy snapping and keep up the good work!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:13 AM   #9

Mark - Great job man! 6ft6! Damn. I think I have it tough at 6ft1!

thkn777 - Remember, DOF is not just a question of the F number you use. Gotta consider your subject's distance from you (for focusing abilities) and distance from the background you are using in relation to your distance from it.

Your comments on here about using your lens wide open start to make more sense about the lens you use.

StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:27 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.

Steven is right the dof you get from a lens is going to change with the focal length as well as the distance from the subject and f number.

If you look atnumber1 and number 4 where the subjects are closer then the dof is reduced a lot.

The example below was shot on the Canon 100-400mm L at 400mm f5.6 and as you can see the background is nicely thrown out due to the subject being close but if he were a long way away then the dof would be a lot wider.