Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
in_the_gym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 251
Default

I'm shooting with a Nikon D50 and used the 70-300G for all but the last one, in which I used the kit lens. Currently I do not have an external flash so I am using onboard. I used ISO 1600 and 1/250 shutter. They have all been run through Neat Image at varying degrees. Any comments or critiques are very welcome, as I am still getting the hang of shooting sports.






Is it bothersome that I have amputated his hands on the free throw shot? I seem to have done that to quite a few. I'm afraid to shoot just before the shot. Do I just need to not zoom in quite so tight?



in_the_gym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Member
 
btrips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 76
Default

Great shots! Indoor action shots are tough, I am also in the process of learning this. There is a goldmine of information in this website about action photography. Almost an complete how-to, if you just search back on this thread you will find a lot of very helpful tips. With what little experience I have, I might would suggest a little less zoom, then you can crop down after. It takes a lot of trial and error. Great start with these pics.

btrips
btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Good job for just starting out - especially with less than desirable equipment. You made the most of what you had!

The first and last shots are the best. The one thing that keeps the last shot from being great is the eyes - did you use some kind of red-eye fix on these? The eyes look silver - not the usual glow I see from flash. But, they look very unnatural and distract from an otherwise very good image. Same problem in 2nd to last image as well.

The other images are sharp but as sports images, relatively uninteresting because there's no action or no ball. You really want to get the ball in the frame. Some of that is framing and some timing. Take your second shot for instance - I'm assuming he put up a layup but this shot is about 1/2 second late - so you're missing the ball and any expression from the player.

All in all I think you've made a very good start. Your photos are sharp (a definite benefit of narrow aperture) and colors are good. So from a technical standpoint the only thing that needs fixing is your red-eye correction. The next step in your evolution as a sports shooter is to work on your framing/timing so you're capturing the ball and some more action/expressions like you have in the first and last shot.

Well done!


JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
in_the_gym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 251
Default

btrips wrote:
Quote:
Great shots! Indoor action shots are tough, I am also in the process of learning this. There is a goldmine of information in this website about action photography. Almost an complete how-to, if you just search back on this thread you will find a lot of very helpful tips. With what little experience I have, I might would suggest a little less zoom, then you can crop down after. It takes a lot of trial and error. Great start with these pics.

btrips
Thanks btrips for taking the time to comment. It all seems so easy when you are sitting in front of the computer and then you get down on the court . . . I had been using the kit lens for a while and decided to try the zoom again. I only have two more H.S. games to practice on, but my youngest plays AAU through the spring. Thanks again and good luck to you too !
in_the_gym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
in_the_gym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 251
Default

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Good job for just starting out - especially with less than desirable equipment. You made the most of what you had!

The first and last shots are the best. The one thing that keeps the last shot from being great is the eyes - did you use some kind of red-eye fix on these? The eyes look silver - not the usual glow I see from flash. But, they look very unnatural and distract from an otherwise very good image. Same problem in 2nd to last image as well.

The other images are sharp but as sports images, relatively uninteresting because there's no action or no ball. You really want to get the ball in the frame. Some of that is framing and some timing. Take your second shot for instance - I'm assuming he put up a layup but this shot is about 1/2 second late - so you're missing the ball and any expression from the player.

All in all I think you've made a very good start. Your photos are sharp (a definite benefit of narrow aperture) and colors are good. So from a technical standpoint the only thing that needs fixing is your red-eye correction. The next step in your evolution as a sports shooter is to work on your framing/timing so you're capturing the ball and some more action/expressions like you have in the first and last shot.

Well done!

Thanks John for taking the time to look and give me your advice.

About the red eye (more like alien eyes) -- don't all the kids in the Northeast have those, it's all the rage here in my corner of Ohio ! LOL LOL I have been using the red eye removal tool in PSE 3. In many cases, the eye is not all red, but has quite a few very light to almost white areas in it. I have tried cloning from the surrounding area and painting on a new layer to improve the eyes. Sometimes this works and sometimes it just makes them look even weirder.

I have been using the kit lens during most of the season. I decided to try the zoom for a couple of games and see what happened. I was happy that I got quite a few shots of kids that had heads, arms, and legs -- now you tell me I need to have the ball in the shot too !:? You're asking for a lot ! LOL

All kidding aside, I really appreciate your advice. I saw your thread a few weeks ago on helpful hints on shooting basketball. Back to practice my timing !

Thanks Again !



in_the_gym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:21 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
MINOLTANUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 807
Default

HAVE YOU TRIED NO FLASH...??
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:33 AM   #7
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
HAVE YOU TRIED NO FLASH...??
Those lenses are too slow for using without a flash. Apertures of 2.0 are usually required but 2.8 can be doable with a slow shutter speed of 1/200 or using ISO 3200.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
MINOLTANUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 807
Default

250 F2.8 150MM 800 ASA
Attached Images
 
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:32 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
MINOLTANUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 807
Default

I CAN RUN 100 ASA AT 2.8 500 SPEED+ AND PUSH IT WITH THE COMPUTER EASY ENOUGH TOO
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:22 AM   #10
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
I CAN RUN 100 ASA AT 2.8 500 SPEED+ AND PUSH IT WITH THE COMPUTER EASY ENOUGH TOO
OK, but the OP doesn't have a 2.8 lens.

Also, this claim seems a little hard to believe. Your shot above was 2.8 1/250 at ISO 800 (and I'm guessing brightened up a bit unless you have the world's brightest gym :-) ).

So, 100 ISO and 1/500 is a 4 stop difference. I find that very difficult to believe. If you don't mind, please post an unedited jpeg (strait conversion if you shoot raw) with EXIF still intact (it was removed from your posted photo) and the 4 stop push of the same photo with the same crop (again with exif still intact in the image). Sorry, but even in good light 4 stops is too much. No way you'd get acceptable quality with a 4 stop push in low light.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.