Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:34 PM   #1

Wow, this is a TOUGH sport to shoot. Of course I pick Sectional tournament as my first time shooting wrestling. The gym lighting in this place was really poor, so I couldn't use my 70-200 2.8. I instead used my 85mm 1.8 Even that was barely up to the task. Plus all the additional shadows - next time I DEFINITELY need to use a flash. And, I found 85mm to be a bit tight. I think a 50-150mm 2.0 lens would be perfect for this sport :-)

Well I know things are a bit tight - lost some body parts. So, I already know that. Any other advice and criticisms welcome though!

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

Photo 5:

Photo 6:

Photo 7:

Photo 8:

Photo 9:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:25 PM   #2

I like #2, 5, and 8. The guy in #8 looks like he is in some pain, but I guess if my leg were bent like that, I would be too!

#3 doesn't really give a good face view and I believe in #4 someone is about to step in front of you.

The exposure looks good and they are sharp, can't tell you had light problems except maybe the blurring of the shoe in #6 may suggest the shutter speed was not where you would have liked.

I thought you had a 50mm lense? Maybe it just wasn't in the bag since you didn't think things would be so close.

One thing which would have been great to have had is a picture of the photog as he took these shots! Did you dust off your belly afterward? You had to be low John.

One last note...as soon as you find one of those 50-150mm 2.0 lenses, let us know!:G

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:17 PM   #3

Good job. I love the facial expression and muscle tone.I too shoot a lot of wrestling. I use a 70-200 2.8 w/flash. Our season just ended. I will start withdrawls any day now.

Steve
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:34 AM   #4

John, These all look pretty good, On my monitor they look alittle bright-- Colors are a little washed out . I would bump up saturation and contrast a little and knock alttle brightness out of them . make them pop

You did a great job on isolating action and catching good action
Thanks, Mark
oldtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5

Great shots, John! IMO with wrestling it doesn't detract much having some of the legs cut off (#8 is great & zooming out to capture all of the legs would take you away from the facial expression) - just as a close-up of a football tackle or hard action under the basket looks good without seeing "full-body".

I think, though, that you're getting picky with your light. I'd like to have some of that "lousy Light" :-)

Tom
dc7thchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:56 AM   #6

thanks All for the kind words. Oldtime - I see what you mean. On my monitor at home they don't show as bright but on my monitor at work they do.

dc7thchild wrote:
Quote:
Great shots, John! IMO with wrestling it doesn't detract much having some of the legs cut off (#8 is great & zooming out to capture all of the legs would take you away from the facial expression) - just as a close-up of a football tackle or hard action under the basket looks good without seeing "full-body".

I think, though, that you're getting picky with your light. I'd like to have some of that "lousy Light" :-)

Tom
Tom - I agree about losing body parts. Over the last couple of years I've become less picky about it for the reasons you state - I very often want to highlight a certain aspect of the scene and a face is always more interesting than a foot. However, I like it to be MY choice - I hate it when I lose a body part because I screwed up or didn't have the right tool for the job. But I agree, a shot with an interesting subject and without a foot is often MUCH better than a shot with all body parts but nothing interesting going on.

As to the light - Let me explain. There were 3 rings working. The middle ring allowed me to use ISO 1600 f2.0 and 1/250. The two outside rings used f1.8 and 1/250. AND, there was a lot of shadows at play. I should dig up an unprocessed image to illustrate. So there was a lot of tweaking required to get the faces to show - as opposed to say basketball in the same gym where I was shooting 1.8 and 1/400 with very little adjustments needed. The combination of the dark mat and the wrestler's faces often pointing down with no reflective light made for very bad initial photos. If I had shot in film I would have been in huge trouble without a flash.

If I remember, I'll post some examples of unprocessed shots to illustrate how bad things were.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote