Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:39 AM   #1

Canon announced the 1d Mk III and happily it has a host of upgrades sports shooters should drool at:

Suppossed better ISO 3200 expandable to 6400!!!

Dual processors

19 cross type sensors

micro focusing adjustmenst depending on lens (need to see more on this)

Ability to wirelessly transmit and operate

silent operation mode

10 - count them 10 fps - back up to the 1V days

Priced around 1d-mk II N.

A host of other changes but these were the highlights IMO from a sports shooting perspective

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...dmark3_pr.html

OK so most of us still can't afford a $4000 camera. But we can dream/drool and savev our pennies.

And maybe, just maybe, there will be some mk II Ns discounted.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:36 AM   #2

I bet it's not exactly what my wife is thinking about for my upcoming birthday!:? I've got a lot of glass to get before that comes into play. It certainly is impressive though...ISO 6400!?!?!
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Gimmi Gimmi Gimmi...... oh if I wasn't going to be buying a new car soon........
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:01 AM   #4

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Gimmi Gimmi Gimmi...... oh if I wasn't going to be buying a new car soon........
Forget the car - ride a bike :G
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I could just walk and get two of then and a load of lenses.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:37 AM   #6

Drooling is right, I'd love to have one of those but on a limited budget I guess it will be quite a while. Guess I'd better start playing the lottery:-)
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:53 AM   #7

In reality, the hope is that this pushes further advancement. I'm glad that Canon did not go the route of trying to combine their 1-series bodies. I'd love to see the next ##D body get the advanced 1-series focusing but I doubt it. The 45 point focusing and especially dedicated chip for focus control is the big difference for me. I'm still hopeful they will push down some of the focus technology but I doubt it. The only hope there is if Nikon does something. But with the D80 already out it will be 2 years before Nikon (if they follow their lifecycle) has a new mid level cameraa. I think at best we'd see the modest focus improvements the 5d has - nice, but not the order of magnitude the 1 series offers.

Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:55 AM   #8

If 3200/6400 ISO looks decent, and if I can get this camera under $4200...I will buy it.

I'm sold on the 10 FPS and better ISO quality.
RadioControlGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:46 AM   #9

RadioControlGuy wrote:
Quote:
If 3200/6400 ISO looks decent, and if I can get this camera under $4200...I will buy it.

Well the list price is $4000. So, looks like you have your wish (and your next camera).

The nice thing is - the people we'll get the first real world reviews from will likely be serious pros so I think it will be easier to get a good feel for how the camera really performs than with releases of other bodies (for example, it was very difficult to get a feeling for how the 400d performed because there were so many inexperienced photographers who bought it and posted reviews good or bad).

With the pro sports shooters, we'll get very critical (and in this sense I mean critical in a positive manner) and knowledgeable reviews based on real world shooting - not photos of yard sticks and dollar bills and the like (I realize that's needed for reviews) but I want the shots from real world shooting and the opinion of the spots shooters who make a living off using this equipment and can't let brand loyalty blind them.

Supposed to ship in April - so by end of May we should have some good data.