Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:02 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Guys and Girls.

This is my 2nd attempt at shooting rugby and I'm quite pleased with the results (C- could do better) and have learnt more so I can improve next time for sure.

I'm pleased to say my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 was replaced by Sigma and seems to be OK (watch this space). To see what was happening for this match I used the above both with and without the 1.4x telecon as well as the Canon 100-400mm L. With the 1.4x telecon fitted there seems to be quite large CA taking place so might get that looked at (yes I'm never happy) but the lens on it's on was working well.

Well here they are, hope you like them and please tell me what you think.

Mark

3 Is it going to be a try.........

4 Can he get there.........

5 Looking good.........

6 ....... awww..... denied!!!

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:53 PM   #2

Mark - great stuff. 3, 7, 8 & 9 are terrific shots.

Really good stuff! I wish rugby were more popular here - it's a nice, violent sport with lots of action, some blood, and great expressions. Here in the states we're a little wussier - we wear pads and helmets for our version of football :sad:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks John I really enjoyed it and one of the local paper (staff) shooters was there as the game he was going to cover was called of so I was picking his brain.

I believe that I will at last be getting my shinny new 120-300mm f2.8 next month so can't wait. Also after seeing the new Mark III being launched I've decided no aim lower with the new carI was going to get which should (I hope) enable me to get the new 1D when released over here along with some sort of lens (not sure what to go with yet).

Oh and yes all the Americans I have met are wimps LOL (I work for a US company so like to stir things up :blah
Old Feb 24, 2007, 2:04 PM   #4

Some good shots Mark, but don't forget that Rugby Union is only half the pace of Rugby League. :lol:What body was you using Mark?
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I know it's a tad slower but is good for the old men playing!

I'm using a Canon 30D, if you want settings etc (remember I was using 3 different lens setups) then the Exif is there and if you don't have it already I would download iExif from Opanda which is great. All you do once installed is right click on a photo (web or on your pc) and if the Exif is there you will be able to get all info.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:10 AM   #6

Mark, as I'm a relative novice and seeing asI use the same body as you (20D), the camera setting I use for rugby are as follows. I've only ever used a 70mm - 200mm f2.8 IS up to now, I've got a 1x4 extender but never had chance to try it yet.

Centre weighted metering.

A1 servo.

Custom function No 4. (No3)

Are these settings similar to yours, or can I learn something from you?

Hope you don't mind my request.

Rico.

Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:58 PM   #7

Some good shots Mark! Are any of the above shots with the 1.4 on your lens? Did you seem to get this same CA problem before you had the lense worked on?

I hope the photographer doesn't have to get as dirty as the athletes...be real hard on unsealed equipment!:-)

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:58 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Gypsyrico wrote:
Quote:
Mark, as I'm a relative novice and seeing asI use the same body as you (20D), the camera setting I use for rugby are as follows. I've only ever used a 70mm - 200mm f2.8 IS up to now, I've got a 1x4 extender but never had chance to try it yet.

Centre weighted metering.

A1 servo.

Custom function No 4. (No3)

Are these settings similar to yours, or can I learn something from you?

Hope you don't mind my request.

Rico.

Those settings sound about right although if you have a good constant light (no cloud coming in and out of play then go for manual. When I shoot the line outs then I over expose by a stop (trial and error on the day so check this out before the game) otherwise the sky will make the whole shot under exposed. If shooting in Av I will either use centre weighted or evaluative depending on the background and colour shirts they are wearing. If they are playing in really dark or really light shirts then centre weighed can really mess up exposure, however if the shirts are a good balance then centre weighted is fine.

If you custom functions are the same as on the 30D then I have custom 4 set to 2 AF lock, no AE lock.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:09 PM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Mark - great stuff. 3, 7, 8 & 9 are terrific shots.

Really good stuff! I wish rugby were more popular here - it's a nice, violent sport with lots of action, some blood, and great expressions. Here in the states we're a little wussier - we wear pads and helmets for our version of football :sad:
i agree, these shots actually make me wish rugby was played here

in new orleans. i would love to shoot this type of action! great work!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:38 PM   #10

nice shots, Mark... these fellows do seem to be enjoying playing in the mud! brings back memories of my playing days in high school and college. always did enjoy the game... i played wing/outside center, so avoided the worst of the traffic jams, except the loose scrums of course! :Gi'mtoo old and wheezy to play these days, but at least there's a rugby club in my area, so i can go get some photos of them in action when the opportunity arises...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote