Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:28 PM   #1

Except for the lights which seems to be going crazy today, I got some better shots. Please provide C&C as you see fit.

#1 Ball, feet, action, focus...I think I got it all!
Attached Images

PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:29 PM   #2

#2 Fake to the left...
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:30 PM   #3

#3 Couldn't decide if or how to crop this one?
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:31 PM   #4

#4 This little guy has really improved!
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:21 PM   #5

First shot is a real gem! Great capture. I think it's your best so far. Timing is perfect and nice facial expression

Great job!

Now I think you need to try some different angles - you've got a number of profiles, now try to get some more with them coming at you. The 135 is too tight to shoot from the basline, but maybe some shots across the key so you can get them face-on.

Still - you're picking this up nicely. It also illustrates how important having the right equipment can be to sports shooting
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:56 AM   #6

Those are some nice shots! I agree with John G the first one is great. I find it hard to time it just right to get the ball just leaving the fingertips. Who would of thought taking pictures would be this hard? I did not even realize it could be that hard to get a good action shot indoors.

Here are a couple of shots from my weekend.

This first one isindoor soccer. Very hard for me to get many good shots, ball movement is non-stop and very fast, and changes directions about the time youpress the shutter.

btrips
Attached Images

btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:02 PM   #7

Indoor tournament from last weekend. Still not getting pictures as sharp as I would like. White balance still has me puzzeled, maybe someday I figure it out.

I did learn that by shooting in raw mode I can bring up my focus points in zoom browser which helps me see what I am focusing on and why some pics turn out the way they do.

btrips
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:06 PM   #8

Last one
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:45 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments guys! Its nice to get feedback.

John,

I have some full frontal shots as the kids are coming up the court, however, none of them are of the kids shooting as they just can't shoot from that far away to allow a full body shot like you see in #1 (toes to fingertips in frame). I definately plan to have the 85mm before next basketball season...now if I only had a lense for the upcoming T-ball season. The 135mm should hopefully be more in it's element next weekend as we travel to the Charleston Cup in South Carolina for a gymnastics meet.

btrips,

The WB looks okay in the ones you posted. Are you using all focus points or just the center? I ask because in some of these the main player is slightly out of focus but the surrounding players are focused well. Sports photography is a sport in itself...it's not anywhere as easy as some of these guys shots around this forum lead you to believe. Just keep at it, we're bound to get better...right?

Also, you don't have to shoot in RAW to see the focus points in Zoombrowser!

Chris
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:29 PM   #10

Photodad

The only way the focus points show in zoom brower is in raw, I can't access them when in jpeg. I now use the center only, unlessI move it by accident. I have the focus points set to toggle with the multi, which is easy to change.

btrips